Duck leg swollen at hock - help!

DuckPrince

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Kentucky

I have a Pekin duck with a hurt leg. It started about a week ago. She limps and curls in one foot. That foot has swelling in the hock, but not the foot area. She doesn't seem to be in pain and still has a good appetite. I have been giving her bath time to help along with a very small amount of Baytril (antibiotic). It doesn't seem to be improving and I feel bad for the duck. There are no close avian vets, so I am trying to research as much as possible. I have posted a picture for viewing.

Any help is appreciated. I farm and have several other animals, but these are my first ducks.

I would apply Epsom salt compresses three times a day and apply Traumeel afterward. Time floating in a tub of lukewarm water may help also. Duckyfromoz has dealt with slipped tendons I think.

@Amiga @Miss Lydia @casportpony
Does it notify you when I link your name like this?
Yes thanks subhanalah.

I haven't seen duckfromz on here in quite some time
sad.png
but if it is a slipped tendon then there should be some info on line about it I would think. Keeping her off of it till you can find out what to do would probably be a good idea smaller area of some kind.

Here are some links that may help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=slipped+tendon

Last edited:
I would apply Epsom salt compresses three times a day and apply Traumeel afterward. Time floating in a tub of lukewarm water may help also. Duckyfromoz has dealt with slipped tendons I think.

Hi Amiga, how exactly do you go about doing an epsom salt compress? One of my drakes is not wanting to use his right leg (he will limp for a few steps but ends up stopping or falling over). Even when he is swimming, he tucks the leg up under his wing and only paddles with the left leg. I felt and looked around his leg and noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

In addition to administering epsom salt compresses, does anyone have more advice for me? Thank you!

I imagine this injury happened getting out of their kiddie pool. They love spending most of the day in their pool, but have not quite figured out how to use the steps that I've made for them. So I think he may have had a bad landing getting out of the pool. But I also worry that it is a symptom of disease. I have no idea. I turned off their light last night, because they seem to sit still in complete darkness so I thought this would be good for him. I am planning on separating him from the others today, if I have the means, so that he can continue to rest. I feel terrible
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom