Duck lessons

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
As I approach my first full year as a duck owner I was thinking of the things that I have learned about ducks.

that they like to dig holes.
How clever they can be and what strong personalities they have
That only females really quack
That an animal can poop that much without turning inside out

What was everyone’s biggest “huh, really?” Discoveries about ducks when you first started raising ducks

That 2am is a great time for a good quacking fit. 😳

That the rooster crowing 10 houses away will trigger a quackathon. Seriously wishing that rooster would sleep through the night.

That it takes under 30 seconds to dirty fresh pool water.

They are still a real hoot for me though.
X2 on that last one! It’s insane how muddy their pools can get in under 5 minutes 😂

Hmmm, there are so many, both good and bad.

1. They are super affectionate if you spend the time working with them. It amazing how cuddly they are.

2. Obsessed with watermelon, it's like their catnip. Will chase me down if they see me carrying it.

3. How smart they can be. Always up to something, trying to cause some trouble or go where they shouldn't. They also can tell when I pull up into the driveway without even seeing me. The moment I step out of the car, they call for me.

4. How molting is like a feather explosion.

As for the bad?

1. How easily they can get bumble foot.

2. How everything is basically a danger for them, easy for all types of predators. Even snakes!

3. Nothing ever stays clean with them. Always cleaning! Amazing really. Like it's a competition how quick they can make a mess.

Love them to death though, wouldn't trade them for the world.

If it's different, a duck has to say something about that!

Taking them on a trip in the car is fun, if a little wearing. "That was a bump!" "That was a turn!" "Wait, is that Cyndi Lauper!" They love singing with Cyndi Lauper on the chorus of, "Girls just wanna have fun!" (A lot of duck sounds in it!)

Back
Top Bottom