Duck Limping for a Few Hours, Fine After Resting

Quackalack

Chirping
Feb 23, 2022
My poor Hay Hay can't catch a break! Yesterday evening I noticed him limping quite severely. He was trying to stand on one leg but seemed like he was collapsing. I went to go check him out but he was well enough to dodge me and to limp after his bros when they wandered off. I put them in their run a bit earlier than usual to let him rest and by midnight he seemed fine. I left them in their run most of the day for more resting (usually they get to play and forage in the yard all day) and now he seems perfectly normal.

He tends to get bullied and chased by his clutch mates. Did he most likely just pull a muscle or should I still try to inspect his feet for thorns or cuts? Anything else I should be monitoring for?

Thanks!

It's always a good idea to keep a check on ducks legs and feet for anything going on. They're able to hide ailments so well for so long and the earlier you find an issue, the better. What kind of duck is he? Is there a way to section off an area for him to still see his flockmates but keep him from being bullied? Do you have pictures of him?

It is most likely he just had a minor leg injury, like pulling a leg muscle. They can heal pretty quickly if they take some time to rest. I have seen a lot of ducks have really minor limps and the next morning they are just fine after resting all night.

I would still check his legs and feet to make sure there is nothing else going on. Look for any signs of bumblefoot, swelling or and unusually warm spots. Chances are you won't find anything. But if you do, it is better to catch it now rather than later.

My poor Hay Hay can't catch a break! Yesterday evening I noticed him limping quite severely. He was trying to stand on one leg but seemed like he was collapsing. I went to go check him out but he was well enough to dodge me and to limp after his bros when they wandered off. I put them in their run a bit earlier than usual to let him rest and by midnight he seemed fine. I left them in their run most of the day for more resting (usually they get to play and forage in the yard all day) and now he seems perfectly normal.

He tends to get bullied and chased by his clutch mates. Did he most likely just pull a muscle or should I still try to inspect his feet for thorns or cuts? Anything else I should be monitoring for?

Thanks!
I do a foot check at least one a week to look for problems. I didn't do that at first, and I missed a pretty bad case of bumblefoot in one of my dark-footed ducks. Took nearly 2 months of daily treatments to get her foot ship shape. I won't make that mistake again!

That said, I have a clumsy duck. She has hurt a leg 2x now. One of those times, she was using her wings to scooch herself around. It looked bad! But a few nights of rest and tlc, and she was back to normal.

Being chased will cause him to injure himself repeatedly. I agree with @HeatherKellyB. That problem should probably be dealt with asap.

Thank you! They are Anconas. I can separate them during the day, yes. I have started separating them for pool time since that is when they bully him the most by chasing him away from all of the pools. Hay Hay is the white one. I don't have a close up of his feet but I can try to get one in the morning. They are two years old but I've only had them four months and so far have not been able to touch them, but I guess it's time to get started!

PXL_20220530_192413329.MP.jpg

Thank you! They are Anconas. I can separate them during the day, yes. I have started separating them for pool time since that is when they bully him the most by chasing him away from all of the pools. Hay Hay is the white one. I don't have a close up of his feet but I can try to get one in the morning. They are two years old but I've only had them four months and so far have not been able to touch them, but I guess it's time to get started!

View attachment 3168762
Beautiful boys!!!! Sounds like you are good to go. Lucky ducks!

Have you tried locking the most aggressive drake up and let the other two roam around together? Maybe the one on one would be less aggressive towards HayHay
Unfortunately they are both kinda bullies in different ways. Snickers charges Hay Hay whenever he tries to get into a pool and Puddles has recently started pecking at Hay Hay's neck and trying to mount both Snickers and Hay Hay! Unfortunately I don't live in an area where I can get enough females for all of them so hopefully I can keep the situation under control and not have to re-home any of them.

Back
Top Bottom