Duck Limping / lame

dazza1965

Songster
8 Years
Dec 29, 2013
Hi,
I've not posted for a while. Got a Silver Appleyard miniature duck that appears to be limping. She will struggle to walk and rest a lot. This happened last year (possibly the year before and again this year. She is about 5 yrs old. It happens about this time of year during laying season. (I'm in the UK) she will go lame and occasionally I have to pick her up and put here to bed. But the next morning will bounce out of the hut as if nothing had happened. She does not seem to have an egg stuck and it can't be anything too serious otherwise she may have died by now. It's just a mystery and wondered if anyone else has had similar issue? we have another slightly younger Appleyard and she is fine.

I know very little about ducks. There is also a duck forum under “Forums” above. But niacin deficiency can be a common reason for lameness in ducks. Human vitamin E complex, or super B complex can be used in poultry 1/4-1/2 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or given in food. Calcium deficiency could also be a problem. What type of feed do you give? I would post a thread on the ducks forum and I will tag @Miss Lydia for more help.

Is she in a mixed flock and being bred? How is she getting in the pool?

My Call Ducks don't usually have leg issues, but some of my larger ducks get them. Rest is the key. We usually restrict their walking by keeping them in a dog crate in the pen with their friends for a week. Usually this is enough to heal. Tendons can hurt if overused with lots of walking.

I had one of my ducks limping but it’s from my boys trying to mate
I kept her in a small pen area around one of my ponds on her own and she spent all day swimming
Swim therapy really helps as the weight is off the leg but they can keep it moving
I used a pet pen to block her off that way her flock could see her and she could see them
The boys never left the pen fencing ;)

I know very little about ducks. There is also a duck forum under “Forums” above. But niacin deficiency can be a common reason for lameness in ducks. Human vitamin E complex, or super B complex can be used in poultry 1/4-1/2 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or given in food. Calcium deficiency could also be a problem. What type of feed do you give? I would post a thread on the ducks forum and I will tag @Miss Lydia for more help.
Thank you. I have posted in the Duck Forum under Duck Health thread.

Is she in a mixed flock and being bred? How is she getting in the pool?

My Call Ducks don't usually have leg issues, but some of my larger ducks get them. Rest is the key. We usually restrict their walking by keeping them in a dog crate in the pen with their friends for a week. Usually this is enough to heal. Tendons can hurt if overused with lots of walking.
Hi,
Thank you for the reply.
Yes she is in a mixed flock. But it is only a single Indian Runner who is now about 12 yrs old! She does get in and out of the pool by jumping (their style). Generally they dont do a lot of walking, they are in a pen but let them out in the garden for a few hours on the weekend when someone is around. I never thought of it as just a minor injury . strain like that. I guess more prominent this time of year if she is carrying an egg.
We don't have a male, so I can safely rule that out :)

Rest water therapy and being kept away from the drakes can all help. I give mine liquid B complex when they come up with a limp just to help with recovery. This can be found at TSC or most feed stores or online. Or human will work as @Eggcessive has mentioned.
You might want to make sure she is or isn't laying. So you can rule out
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/obturator-paralysis.1438777/
Thank you for your reply. Yes she is laying 2 or 3 eggs a week

It could be that when the egg is moving down the chute it presses on a nerve? just wondering out loud.
If the bottom of the feet and legs are healthy looking.
Hi,
Yes we think it maybe related to egg laying. 1st time it happened we were worried it was the start of egg peritonitis but as she recovered overnight we ruled that out.
It is also strange how it does not affect her during the winter and non laying times of the year. She is back to her normal cheeky self again but not laid an egg since.

Back
Top Bottom