Duck limping, not sure why.

(I have posted this in the injury sub-forum but i thought it would make more sense if i posted it here) My duck has been limping for quite a while now, i have gotten it from my uncle since i had chickens i could take care of it, i asked him why it's limping and he didn't know. His neighbors gave it to him so it was limping before. Recently i have noticed that she is in alot of pain so i decided to ask the BYC forums because you guys have helped me with all my chicken problems.

Here are some pics:

Hi, so sorry your pekin is injured.
Like Devw said it is probably an old injury and the duck has learned to walk and compensate for the injury. you could try to make some kind of extention splint, but if you dont know if you will be helping or hurting your duck more that is tricky.
I have a duck that does not walk well at all and uses her wings for balance and has compensated that way. I keep her in a seperate pen within my duck flock. I carry her to and from the pond and pool. she (Ali) is my special needs pekin.
if you keep your pekin there is a "special needs" thread here on BYC for us duck lovers. come over and say hi and tell your story.

(I have posted this in the injury sub-forum but i thought it would make more sense if i posted it here) My duck has been limping for quite a while now, i have gotten it from my uncle since i had chickens i could take care of it, i asked him why it's limping and he didn't know. His neighbors gave it to him so it was limping before. Recently i have noticed that she is in alot of pain so i decided to ask the BYC forums because you guys have helped me with all my chicken problems.

Here are some pics:

oops

Last edited:
Here are pics of the bottom of her feet, i'll try to get a video of her walking tommorrow.

Right foot:

Left foot:

looks like a little bumble on each foot

they look little so the meds the vet gave probably helped a lot, epsom salt soaks are a great way to help relieve some of the pain and draw out infection
it also looks looks like there may have been other ones that are gone now

are you giving any form of niacin with their food?

edited to add:

BE WARNED, epsom salt is a laxative, and we all know that ducks poop enough as it is
sickbyc.gif
so try not to let her drink it

Last edited:
looks like a little bumble on each foot they look little so the meds the vet gave probably helped a lot, epsom salt soaks are a great way to help relieve some of the pain and draw out infection it also looks looks like there may have been other ones that are gone now are you giving any form of niacin with their food? edited to add: BE WARNED, epsom salt is a laxative, and we all know that ducks poop enough as it is :sick so try not to let her drink it
I do give her some rice which i think has niacin, anything else i should do to her help her other then soaking her feet in epsom salt?

Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast is a good supplement to add to her feed. What do you feed her besides rice?

She really needs supportive care [nutritional and TLC,] right now so her body can really work on healing.

I do give her some rice which i think has niacin, anything else i should do to her help her other then soaking her feet in epsom salt?
peas also have a bunch, but you should really add some brewers yeast to her feed, what protein percentage feed are you feeding?

soaking her feet is a great way to help, you can also, after soaking, see if the bumble head is loose, if it is pick it off, then put some neosporin on her feet and wrap them if she'll let you (easier said than done, i know)

and soak a few more times

I feed her the same feed as the chickens, i also give her leftovers alot because unlike chickens she actually eats it.

Back
Top Bottom