Duck Limping!!!

DandyAndMahi

Chirping
Aug 14, 2019
United States, Oklahoma
One of my babies, Mahi started limping yesterday. There’s isn’t anything on his leg, and it doesn’t look any swollen of anything. Since I saw it, I put him in his coop with lots of water. I don’t know what to do. Should I take him to the vet? Should I make a stint for his leg?

One of my babies, Mahi started limping yesterday. There’s isn’t anything on his leg, and it doesn’t look any swollen of anything. Since I saw it, I put him in his coop with lots of water. I don’t know what to do. Should I take him to the vet? Should I make a stint for his leg?
If you could post pictures of his legs both the top and underside that would help. We don't know what you are seeing..:)

8E4D3E87-81EE-408A-8172-6BAEDCD5970A.jpeg

309A6908-6E70-4B78-92B7-9DBFDB82D67D.jpeg

C6EFB2F3-32AF-48E7-9F2B-211C00815646.jpeg

This is his left foot, I think it’s the one that’s hurting. He’s trying to put as much weight as he can on his right one.

He’s a Khaki Campbell and about 6 months old.

Does the black stuff on the bottom of his foot come off? I'm not sure if he has a bumble or not. Has he been walking around in the snow/ice?
The outer 'toe' that you are pointing to looks deformed to me, like he broke it maybe.
I would try soaking his foot 2x day in warm Epsom salts, the heat may help him.
If you have a decent poultry vet near you I would certainly encourage you to take him there.
Hopefully, some duck oriented folks will chip in here...good luck with him :)

Does the black stuff on the bottom of his foot come off? I'm not sure if he has a bumble or not. Has he been walking around in the snow/ice?
The outer 'toe' that you are pointing to looks deformed to me, like he broke it maybe.
I would try soaking his foot 2x day in warm Epsom salts, the heat may help him.
If you have a decent poultry vet near you I would certainly encourage you to take him there.
Hopefully, some duck oriented folks will chip in here...good luck with him :)

I think the black stuff does come off, I think it might just be mud. It has been below freezing lately at night and it snowed last week, but all the snow has since gone. I do see what you’re talking about with his toe though! I have found one vet near me that I could take him to, just wanted to see if it was an easy fix! Thank you so much.

If it is frostbite, it may be treatable with bringing him inside, a daily soak in warm Epsom salts water, and using a disinfectant such as chlorhexidene, Vetericyn, or a similar hydrogel wound spray.

Back
Top Bottom