Duck Names

Coming up with names is one of my dreaded rescue jobs. Even worse than giving shots. We have so many litters come through, and it's important to name them something that will appeal to adopters. Something cute, and original. Yeah, like that's going to happen. We often go with themes. We did the entire cast of Desperate Housewives (Gabby, Susan, Lanette, Carlos, etc.) We did herbs (sage, basil, etc.). We've done Greek gods (zeus, athena, etc.), flowers (daisy, iris, buttercup, etc.), and names that start with a certain letter (Finley, Fanny, Fred, etc.).

It gets ridiculous. I've started calling all kittens "Baby Cat", in hopes that I won't fall madly in love and want to keep them. Fat chance, right? Actually, I used to call them all "Kitten". But now I have a cat named "Kitten". You can see how well the whole "name them something generic and I won't fall in love" thing worked.
roll.png

This thread just gave me a thematic name concept.

i plan to get mini silver appleyards, but before i prep for them I want to get started on another homesteady-type project: a "Belgian Fence" of apple trees. Gotta have the apples in the yard first, right?

Since this will involve many varieties of apples, perhaps I could name my future appleyards after whatever varieties i end up planting (Ashmead, Hudson, Karmijn, Ellison...though not sure about Liberty or Spartan name-wise)

This thread just gave me a thematic name concept.
i plan to get mini silver appleyards, but before i prep for them I want to get started on another homesteady-type project: a "Belgian Fence" of apple trees. Gotta have the apples in the yard first, right?
Since this will involve many varieties of apples, perhaps I could name my future appleyards after whatever varieties i end up planting (Ashmead, Hudson, Karmijn, Ellison...though not sure about Liberty or Spartan name-wise)

Love the apple idea :)

We call our ducks after sea-going explorers so we have:
Magellan
Marco Polo
Tasman
Freycinet
LaPerouse
Shackleton
Jansz
Torres
Solander
Trim (named after an explorer's cat...)

So, you can end up with some odd names, using a theme, but it's fun :)

I only have 3 ducks but I had a hard time naming the last lady. (It took three weeks.)
So far all the girls are plants that can also be people's names.
I have a Fern, a Poppy (my 2 Anconas) & the newest lady - Heather (my Buff).
With three more due to hatch this weekend & be picked up next week (2 WH & a Cayuga) I hope I can come up with more names that fit in the theme.
I have an all girl yard. The chickens are all named for food - Sesame, Divan, Almondine (though we usually call her dummy) and Hermione (my youngest named her & did not agree with the food theme).
My bunny is Macy, because she is white & grey.

Just throwing something out, but you could play around with the saxony angle.... Three names come to mind Saks Fifth Avenue... Go with a theme of high end retailers... Saks, Tiffany, bloomingdale... I should stop, shouldn't I?

Okay, based on this suggestion, these are the names I came up with.

Boscov - Drake
Penney - Hen
Macy -Drake or Hen
Peebles - Hen
Kohl - Drake

A few of these are local stores, but I loved the names and they sound cute without being too overly ducky.

I have:
Waffers (Drake runner)--because he was found in a" waffers" dog treat box at the park
Samantha aka "Sammy" (Mallard Hen)--found with 'Waffers'; I wouldn't stand for calling her a whimiscal name, or naming her after the flavor on the box..
Lector (Drake Pekin from H#$L)--because he plucks the feathers off all the other ducks (geese included), ripped the eyelid off one of my hens, and ate them all!
Spock (Blue Sweedish Drake)--because the niece named him...
And the others are named Duck....except one Mallard hen my nephew named "Goose".. Duck, duck, goose get it?

Back
Top Bottom