Duck Newbie Feed Questions

Ryanagon

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 16, 2016
I have a few questions I was hoping for help with. Just purchased my first ducks (1 Cayuga drake 2 Cayuga hens). They are already a couple years old. I purchased Poultry Layer Feed since I am getting 1 to 2 eggs a night.

1. Will this be all the Calcium I need or should I still be supplementing with oyster shells?

2. Does poultry feed typically already include grit or should I also provide that?

3. Do I supplement niacin? Is it typically in poultry feed already? And is it necessary at 2 years old?

I guess I am a bit worried since they can't really forage much right now. I have an enclosure for them (5'x12') but the ground is wood chips. I've given a few treats such as peas and grapes that they didn't really care for, but loved the romaine lettuce and celery leaves. Pieces of celery seem too hard to me... I don't know how small to cut them up and I'm worried about choking. Thanks kindly for any advice.

Your drake doesn't need the extra calcium in the layer. Mine get an all flock ration with a separate bowl of oyster shells. You need to provide grit if your birds are confined, or if there isn't any smaller gravel bits on your property.

The extra calcium in Layer feed is bad for his kidneys. Only hens that are actively laying should ever get Layer feed. Even if you had a flock of only laying hens it's usually a good idea to also offer oyster shell.

If you were only giving commercial feed you wouldn't need to offer grit. Since you are giving treats you will need to provide grit. If they were free range they would probably be able to find sand and small rocks on their own.

Wanted to add, it's not so detrimental that you can't keep feeding him whatever Layer feed you still have left. You don't need to toss it out and get new feed right now. But if I were you I would find an All Flock type feed when your current bag runs out.

Back
Top Bottom