Duck not preening due to injured wing (very anxious mummy)

Her wing has arthritis so unlikely to heal as she’s 14years old now , but I would like to help her lead a happy life as long as I possibly can - hope someone can help ??
My duck is older, though only 7, and has severe arthritis in her feet which makes it painful for her to preen. She is also soggy after getting wet. I took her to the vet and they took x-rays to diagnose her arthritis accurately. She is on pain medication daily for life. It clearly helps her move around easier.

I also pick her up and put her in clean water regularly. I mist her as well, spraying the water over her and letting it fall on top of her body.

Both the pain medication and bathing seem to help her preen more. I'm hoping that after she molts she will be able to take care of her new feathers.

My duck is older, though only 7, and has severe arthritis in her feet which makes it painful for her to preen. She is also soggy after getting wet. I took her to the vet and they took x-rays to diagnose her arthritis accurately. She is on pain medication daily for life. It clearly helps her move around easier.

I also pick her up and put her in clean water regularly. I mist her as well, spraying the water over her and letting it fall on top of her body.

Both the pain medication and bathing seem to help her preen more. I'm hoping that after she molts she will be able to take care of her new feathers.
That’s good to hear thank you so hopefully I can get her checked out at the vets asap. It’s always tricky giving ducks medicine tho , do you have to give her tablets ?

That’s good to hear thank you so hopefully I can get her checked out at the vets asap. It’s always tricky giving ducks medicine tho , do you have to give her tablets ?
Unfortunately it is a liquid. I wish I could give her tablets because then I can hide it in a grape tomato (like a pill pocket) and she'll eat it like a treat without knowing. The smallest dog tablet has to be split too many times to be accurate so we have to do liquid.

Fortunately I've developed excellent duck medication skills, and my ducks knows I will give her mealworms afterwards. She does get anxious when she sees the syringe, but it is over in a moment and then she gets to have the rest of the day with less pain.

Back
Top Bottom