No need to cull so early it takes time to get over an injury. Keep using the Epsom salt but I’d not put it in the pool you’d have to use a lot for it to help. I use a bucket and also a plastic dish pan from the dollar store the dish I pan would probably be better for her less likely she’s drink much since ES is also a laxative. Time a patience is what is needed when one is injured. What supplements are you using if they are going in her water it’s diluting it best to give orally we have info on how.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thank you! Very helpful information and link provided. And the encouragement is helpful to🥰

She stood up today!!!! The past few days we’ve been going for visitation with the rest of the flock (supervised). Having our epson salt soak and drying off in the lawn up at the house (supervised). No egg has passed. So I have started to doubt that she’s egg bound. We’ve been getting b3 from peas, nutritional yeast and brewers yeast while we wait on the supplement to come in. None of our farm stores had it.
Today we had a more restful day as it was busy for me so she couldn’t get supervised visits or outside time. I did move her crate in the yard while I was working, and as I was moving her back in she STOOD UP from the commotion!!!! We paused and celebrated and hopefully that’s a sign of healing. (Please, God!). I have been stretching her legs back and feeling her tendons as she wasn’t stretching on her own. Who knows what’s really helping at this point, but I was thrilled to see her stand. Tomorrow we’ll continue to rest and monitor, and maybe she’ll stand in the lawn during outside time!

View attachment 3574157Hi everyone,

New duck mom here 👋🏼. This duck (I assume female) was discovered this afternoon just laying around. I approached her and instead of standing she used her wings to try to get around. That was her state all day. I put her in the pool and she stood on both feet and moved around in there just fine. Seemed more comfortable there too. I checked her feet and legs. No bumble foot or other leg injuries. Came for an evening check and she was missing feathers on her tail and by her neck. We do keep our ducks and chickens together. So I’ve quarantined her and put no peck on her as I don’t have wound ointment. She is eating and drinking. There’s brewers yeast in her water and peas. At this point I wonder if she’s egg bound as they should be laying soon (she’s 14 weeks old)?

I looked at egg bound symptoms and I didn’t see that any ducks were not walking. Most lame ducks had niacin deficiency or leg injuries. Any other ideas or advice on what else to look for or do for her?
Hopefully nothing serious. Ducks tend to know when something is wrong with another duck and peck at it (sometimes harshly) i think as a survival instinct, remove the weak one. I had a drake who was lethargic and within days couldn't walk at all, was okayish in the pool I think because he was weightless but the other boys clearly knew he wasn't well and tried to peck at him, even standing on him to do it. I had to separate him. They knew I'd stop them so they'd wait til I was out of sight... sneaky. I did all the things... Fed by syringe because he stopped eating, monitored poops, etc. Brought him to the vet twice, first time she thought was calcium deficiency and prescribed him liquid med for that. Thought it was strange cause he's a drake but she said it's possible. I researched it and it said calcium deficiency can cause lameness in ducks. He got worse though so I brought him back and she thought possibly parasite or pneumonia and did a stool test (came back negative) and gave him antibiotics in pill form which were hard to administer because he was so unwell. I asked if he could've swallowed something toxic and she said it was unlikely and wouldn't do any tests or xray. Within a week of the onset of symptoms he passed away :-( Because he wasn't getting better on the antibiotic I'm wondering if it was something he ingested. Might be worth giving calcium and possibly do a natural flush in case she ingested something toxic? Just my thoughts as a new duck owner :) Is she still eating?
Edit: I just noticed this was a July post :)

Back
Top Bottom