RKP2011

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
71081786764__C4563799-5FA2-4A53-B792-867ACB43BE1A.jpeg
Hi everyone,

New duck mom here 👋🏼. This duck (I assume female) was discovered this afternoon just laying around. I approached her and instead of standing she used her wings to try to get around. That was her state all day. I put her in the pool and she stood on both feet and moved around in there just fine. Seemed more comfortable there too. I checked her feet and legs. No bumble foot or other leg injuries. Came for an evening check and she was missing feathers on her tail and by her neck. We do keep our ducks and chickens together. So I’ve quarantined her and put no peck on her as I don’t have wound ointment. She is eating and drinking. There’s brewers yeast in her water and peas. At this point I wonder if she’s egg bound as they should be laying soon (she’s 14 weeks old)?

I looked at egg bound symptoms and I didn’t see that any ducks were not walking. Most lame ducks had niacin deficiency or leg injuries. Any other ideas or advice on what else to look for or do for her?

How many drakes to females do you have?
Well, we recently learned we have too many drakes to females as the mallard males are just now changing color. We got them for eggs but it’s looking like if we want ducks at all they’ll be all males as the females are out numbered. 3 females to 5 males. The Pekins are hard to tell but I’m pretty sure there are two males out of our 4 Pekins. Then there are 4 mallards in which one is female.

UPDATE: still lame. Using Epsom salt bath as an opportunity to get her using her legs. She does seem a little uncomfortable in the water. As in she’s not floating normally. She does rise on her legs in there and splashed around. Until she finally just rests. Doing this Epsom Sal bath for 20 mins each day. Still no egg. So I don’t thing she’s egg bound. ?
image.jpg

UPDATE: still lame. Using Epsom salt bath as an opportunity to get her using her legs. She does seem a little uncomfortable in the water. As in she’s not floating normally. She does rise on her legs in there and splashed around. Until she finally just rests. Doing this Epsom Sal bath for 20 mins each day. Still no egg. So I don’t thing she’s egg bound. ?

UPDATE: still lame. Using Epsom salt bath as an opportunity to get her using her legs. She does seem a little uncomfortable in the water. As in she’s not floating normally. She does rise on her legs in there and splashed around. Until she finally just rests. Doing this Epsom Sal bath for 20 mins each day. Still no egg. So I don’t thing she’s egg bound. ? View attachment 3575794
She is drinking a lot which is where her supplements are. Not much of her food is eaten, so I’m going to add some to her water. Otherwise, no physical improvement. And opinions on how long to nurse her before culling? I hate that idea.

No need to cull so early it takes time to get over an injury. Keep using the Epsom salt but I’d not put it in the pool you’d have to use a lot for it to help. I use a bucket and also a plastic dish pan from the dollar store the dish I pan would probably be better for her less likely she’s drink much since ES is also a laxative. Time a patience is what is needed when one is injured. What supplements are you using if they are going in her water it’s diluting it best to give orally we have info on how.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom