Duck opening and closing bill and making rasping sounds

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
This morning, I heard my 15 month old Welsh Harlequin, Solrikka, making rasping noises and was opening and closing her bill to breathe. The opening and closing of the bill has gotten more frequent and her bill is opening wider. I opened her bill to check her mouth/cloaca and I didn't see anything. I also gently massaged her throat to see if there was any obstruction and didn't feel anyting. She's still eating and drinking and acting normally, but I'm concerned. It's not hot today, so I don't think it's panting. Does anyone know what it might be?

She has always hiccuped quite a LOT, but she seemed healthy, and the hiccups usually went away once she took a drink, so I didn't think much of it. Could the hiccuping (and mouth breathing now) indicate that there be something up with her genetically?

SebrightMix

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
the rasping I’m sure is fine, it’s just an identification that it’s a boy becuase male ducks rasp and female quack. Not sure about the breathing and hiccups

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
the rasping I’m sure is fine, it’s just an identification that it’s a boy becuase male ducks rasp and female quack. Not sure about the breathing and hiccups
She's female, so the rasping is definitely not normal for her.

We're in California, so air quality was really bad for a while. I hope her lungs have not been compromised.

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
Does anyone have an idea of what this might be? I don't see her coughing, sneezing or discharge....just a raspy/gurgle noise. Humidity has been in the 30's, so I don't think it could me aspergilosis. Is gapeworm a possibility? I can't get an appointment until the 6th of November.

She is still very active...eating, drinking and foraging just fine.

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
It could be a respiratory infection. If a vet is not an option, VetRx at TSC might be worth a try. Miss Lydia recommends putting a few drops under the nares.
Thanks! I can try the VetRx for now.

If it is a respiratory infection, would she also need antibiotics? Also, if she is not sneezing, coughing and does not have discharge, is it possible she has something else? She also doesn't show any signs of slowing down. Her activity, eating and drinking seem to be normal.

Isaac 0

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
Let us know if she is doing it in the morning. Odds are its not a respiratory disease, and it's very unlikely it would be Gapewoem.

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
Let us know if she is doing it in the morning. Odds are its not a respiratory disease, and it's very unlikely it would be Gapewoem.
She's still opening and closing her bill, and her tail is bobbing up and down like crazy. She still seems alert, active and is eating and drinking well. There's been a lot of stress for her lately, since 3 of my other ducks are molting and they are making life hell for her and another Welsh Harlequin I have...constantly pecking and biting at her and her sister. We finally put up a partition in their coop.

If it were a respiratory disease, wouldn't she act sick as well...with either lethargy, loss of appetite and/or sneezing, coughing, etc?

I don't think it's Aspergilosis either, as it's been bone dry here, with really low humidity. I think Asper. thrives in wet conditions.

Top Bottom