duck or drake (khiaki and appleyard)

pearlandjewels

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
basildon essex
Hi all I have 4 ducks. The 2 I adopted around 3months ago are indian runners and def a duck and drake (duck hasnt layed yet)
My question. I have my 2 babies pearl and jewels who are now 6 months and everyday for 6 days ive woke up to an egg a day. Nice blue ones but iI dibt know whos they are although jewels lays on them. They could well be the runners eggs but I just dont know. Could anyone tell me if I have 2 ducks/drakes please x ive tried listening but I cant figure it out. Thank you
chocolate jewels

Drakes don't lay on eggs so jewels is a hen and pearl has a hens coloring. Appleyard drakes tend to have darker heads and drake feathers, a curly tail feather.

The two could be nest sharing, using the same nest to lay their eggs, mine do. Appleyards lay white eggs but they could be jewels or the other hens (if shes old enough) if there green/blue eggs.

Last edited:
Hi all I have 4 ducks. The 2 I adopted around 3months ago are indian runners and def a duck and drake (duck hasnt layed yet)
My question. I have my 2 babies pearl and jewels who are now 6 months and everyday for 6 days ive woke up to an egg a day. Nice blue ones but iI dibt know whos they are although jewels lays on them. They could well be the runners eggs but I just dont know. Could anyone tell me if I have 2 ducks/drakes please x ive tried listening but I cant figure it out. Thank you chocolate jewels
Those both look like hens to me except that I've never seen a Khaki hen with a black wing bar. That might just be a breeding variation.

Do you say the Runner hen isn't laying yet because you keep the Runners separate from the others? The reason I ask is that, if you don't, I have a feeling it's the Runner hen laying the eggs because they lay bluish eggs. Khakis and Appleyards both lay white eggs.

I hope they are both girls, im not sure if they she is full khiaki aa tge place I got them deom tild me I had an appleyard and cayuga lol x yes runners share the same pen at night they are 1yr old and were in molt when they came here 3 months ago. The male has been mating with the girl but because jewels and pearl are laying on the nest (all night) I was confused. The hen runner is not interested in them just her drake (and his hers lol)

I hope they are both girls, im not sure if they she is full khiaki aa tge place I got them deom tild me I had an appleyard and cayuga lol x yes runners share the same pen at night they are 1yr old and were in molt when they came here 3 months ago. The male has been mating with the girl but because jewels and pearl are laying on the nest (all night) I was confused. The hen runner is not interested in them just her drake (and his hers lol)

Hens don't sit only on their own eggs. They don't even know whose eggs are whose, which is why you can try to entice them with fake eggs, chicken eggs, etc. Runners aren't generally the best mothers, so your Runner hen might never go broody. No worries, though, as long as you have at least one hen that will sit on the nest
smile.png

Arr good little jewels. Im not worried about her not being broody as I have an incubator but was just confused but thank you for your advice it has really helped! Could he over mate her if other girls arnt ready as shes constantly flirting and his agreeing, just dont want him to hurt her. I tried seperating the male whilst hen was bathing but she went nuts coz she cldnt find him lol. I only been duck mum for 6months and someone was giving away the runners x

Arr good little jewels. Im not worried about her not being broody as I have an incubator but was just confused but thank you for your advice it has really helped! Could he over mate her if other girls arnt ready as shes constantly flirting and his agreeing, just dont want him to hurt her. I tried seperating the male whilst hen was bathing but she went nuts coz she cldnt find him lol. I only been duck mum for 6months and someone was giving away the runners x

I'm not clear on who's mating with whom. Is this the Runner drake mating with Jewels, the Khaki, or with the Runner hen?

Back
Top Bottom