Duck over mating one girl

Karen1776

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2023
I have 2 females and 1 male duck he's constantly over mating one duck and don't touch the other can I use a chicken saddle on her ? He pulled out a bunch of her feathers between her wings I got the 3 last August and just bought 6 more beby ducks so he will have more I had to separate him because she was raw from where the feathers were pulled out

I have 2 females and 1 male duck he's constantly over mating one duck and don't touch the other can I use a chicken saddle on her ? He pulled out a bunch of her feathers between her wings I got the 3 last August and just bought 6 more beby ducks so he will have more I had to separate him because she was raw from where the feathers were pulled out
Some males can have 15 females but just focus on the one
Others spread the love to all
You did the correct thing by separating him to let her heal before things got worse
Just make sure it’s where he can see them so he doesn’t get to lonely
With him in full hormone stage you won’t want to add the younger ones till they are old enough to mate
Around 4 months

In my experience, once a drake is pulling out feathers it doesn’t get better until fall when his hormones drop and then starts up again in the spring. A chicken saddle won’t hurt, neither will adding more females but it might not fix it either. It seems to me like my drakes are insecure little dictators who want strong females who worship them. A weak, indifferent, or a female who looks really different from the rest gets jumped on and mated with continuously. After years of drake jail and adding females to no avail, I finally rehomed my feather pulling drake and kept his baby son. The son drake then grew up with the older girls keeping him in check. He still targets the same two girls his daddy did (I have 4 girls) but he doesn’t pull feathers out or injure them when mating. Anyway, hope this helps, good luck with yours.

If you have this problem maybe try buying more females but if he is still mating with the same duck buy another drake but of course 2 hens and 2 drakes are not recommended so instead consider having 2 drakes and 4-6 females. You can also try separating the female so he can grow interest to the other hens not just one.

Back
Top Bottom