Duck Pond Filter & Shower with lots of pictures.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldGuy43, Oct 15, 2012.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Glad to hear from you!!!! And glad you are feeling better now.
    That is an awesome set up. I am going to show my dh, in hopes he will want to copy it!!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

X2!!

3. ArtistaRaquel

ArtistaRaquel In the Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Manassas, Va
    Do you happen to know the pump model and brand name that you went with? Maybe this is still available on Amazon or some other online retailer, even if Lowe's no longer carries it. I would love to see any other pictures you might have. I recently bought a 350 gallon stock tank that is 6' round and 2' deep for my two Welsh Harlequins. I dug down about a foot and built a dirt ramp for them to get in. It has a drain on one side about two inches from the bottom. I did dig a little spot so I could access the drain, but I fear it will back fill in time. Also, attaching a hose to it in order to drain it has not been working well since the water has to run uphill for the first 10" of hose length. I have been looking at many threads to see what the best solution for keeping my pond clean would be. Since this is such a great volume of water, I have no interest in draining it on even a weekly basis, and would prefer to just filter it and top it off as necessary with maybe a seasonal complete draining. From what I have seen I think your idea looks the most promising. Thank you for sharing it!

4. Sorry it took so long to respond, but things have been a bit hectic here. No, I don't have the info on the pump any longer, and even though it was listed as being designed for 'continuous use' it only lasted about a year (right after the warranty ran out) so I really can't recommend it. My current solution, which I'm still testing is to add a timer set to 1/2 hour on, 1/2 hour off. So far, so good, but we'll just have to wait and see.

If you're expecting the water to stay crystal clear it won't. With about half a dozen ducks it still needs changing about every 2-4 weeks, so with only two you might get by with every 6 months or so, One hint might be to add about a cup of bleach every other day to keep down the algae.

I have a couple of plans for the future that may help you as well. On the unfiltered downpipe I plan to add an extension and elbow that will keep the debris stirred on the bottom stirred up.

My second improvement may solve your drainage problem for you. I want to add a T just above the pump and cap it off except when I want to drain it. I've thought about putting a valve in there but the plastic ones get hard to turn.

Hope this helps,
    OldGuy43

5. goldfishb

goldfishb Chirping

May 16, 2013
    Wow, you have some lucky ducks there. Very nice

6. Kenny_

Kenny_ Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    Georgia, USA
    I love this so much!

7. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    I like the wire screen as a filter idea. I am going to try and figure out a way to implement it into my setup.

onaharley likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: