Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics
Boy do I feel silly
th.gif

Quote:
If you want to get rid of the mosquitos throw some cracked corn all along the edges of the pond and some in the middle. We learned that trick from the township mosquito control guy... has something to do with the corn fermenting and killing the mosquito larve. We have drainage ditches all along our property that get stagnant and we have thrown the corn in tham and it has drastically cut down our mosquitos

Hello everyone... my first post!

I'm bumping this thread, as it has been very informative and relates to my question: I have an old clawfoot tub, and it is calling out for ducks. I just planted 5 fruit trees, and envision attaching a hose to the tub and using this to water the trees. Question: I know poultry poop is "hot"... would it be too much straight from the tub for young trees?

Also, the grass in this newly-treed area is new (and currently mostly covered with straw). Will putting ducks in there be the end of it (I'm thinking 3 or 4 runner ducks)?

Any general advice on using a clawfoot tub would be much appreciated, though it sounds pretty easy (aside from moving it up the hill!)

Make a ramp out of galvanized steel mesh - bend one end so it can hook over the end of the tub. Then the ducks will be able to get out when the water is low. For the outside a timber platform and ramp will help them get up and into the bath.

How big is the grassed area? My ducks don't destroy my grass but they do keep it very short. I'd keep them off the grass till it's established a bit more.

My grass area is pie shaped, and about 35 feet long and about 20 feet at its widest. We have even more space if I let them free range, but we have lots of hawks, eagles, owls. The grass is new, so I agree that it may need to be more established before I unleash ducks onto it (I just want them NOW). And, I was thinking runner ducks because they are smaller and, hmmm, gentler on grass?

The steel mesh ramp inside is a good idea... thanks.

But my kids got wind that I want the tub for ducks, and they are protesting (they enjoy it in the summer). I have another slightly smaller/shallower trough I can use, so now I'm thinking about having it to the side of the trees (not on the grass) and somehow siphoning the water to the trees when I need it.

Thanks for your help.

23 acres of water on this farm, but my ducks won't go near it since our beloved, Pink, was taken down my a snapping turtle.

88997_smile.jpg

Akela won't go into the pool because it looks to him like a dreaded bathtub, but he can't stay out of those dirty ponds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom