Duck Pond Woes

Luccin

Hatching
5 Years
May 10, 2014
Hey all,

So we decided to buy a couple of Cayuga ducklings, they're now about 3 months old, and we have introduced them to our pond. They currently have 2 kids paddling pools, which we are cleaning out every couple of days.

They absolutely LOVE the big pond, however, it is now full of muck, both poo and general mud/debris, and is a major job to empty.

We decided that a pond pump/filter set might remedy this problem (in conjunction with only giving them access to the pond every couple of days.

Here is one of the pump/filter sets we were looking at: http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/-easypond-7000-pond-pump-and-filter-set/p1920#ReviewsFromFeefo

Regards,

Luccin

Try pumping the water through a filter like this one: www.runnerduck.com/pf1.htm
I made a similar filter for my koi pond, only I used a 100gal stocktank and a 3000gph Laguna maxflo pump. It completely clears my 1200 gallon pond in no time (4 large koi,.and lots of frogs :)). I have never had to clean the filter, and just occasional maintenance on the pump in the 3 years I have used this system. I also have a 9 watt UV filter on a 1200gph Laguna maxflo pump that has eliminated green water algae. I don't have my duckies yet (will get 4 Welsh harlequins next spring) but I think this setup should keep the pond clean.

To do anything with duck, you are going to need to build a filter or you will be cleaning out that filter you linked to daily.

Check out info on skippy filters. They are easy to create and do a decent job at keeping the duck poop to a minimum.
Mine is about a 70 gallon one for a 1000 gallon pond. I clean the filter 2x a year and it is disgusting, but that goo is in the filter box, not the pond.
There is still poop in the pond and dirt and algae (pond is green), but not nearly as much poop.

Back
Top Bottom