Duck pond

Cwillenburg

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Would a pond this size be big enough for 6 ducks? I know it's hard to see but it would be roughly triangle shape. And has anyone had success growing aquatic plants in one that chickens have access to?
20210410_133455.jpg

Not sure if this will help but I am planning to use a kiddie pool with a diameter of 36” in my new duck run but I will also have one outside when they free range.

Not sure if this will help but I am planning to use a kiddie pool with a diameter of 36” in my new duck run but I will also have one outside when they free range.
That was my first plan, but i really really don't want to have to clean it out all the time. And i can't trust my toddlers to use it for themselves lol. I'm currently duck-less, but i have 6 ducklings coming in 2 weeks. I figure if i start on a natural pond now, i can get it done by the time they are big enough to use it

That was my first plan, but i really really don't want to have to clean it out all the time. And i can't trust my toddlers to use it for themselves lol. I'm currently duck-less, but i have 6 ducklings coming in 2 weeks. I figure if i start on a natural pond now, i can get it done by the time they are big enough to use it
My ducklings are two weeks old now, since I got them at 4 days old, we have gone for daily swims.
I’m debating about adding a drain nozzle or just siphon the pool once in a while. My pool will be in the shade to prevent algae building up.

Filtration is a big problem with duck ponds. The water volume is mostly irrelevant but you need a huge filter.
Like what size? I probably won't end up keeping all the ducks, I ordered extra just incase of losses. I've never done ducks before. I will probably keep 3 maximum

Like what size? I probably won't end up keeping all the ducks, I ordered extra just incase of losses. I've never done ducks before. I will probably keep 3 maximum
The bigger the filter the less you will have to clean it. I would start with 3, 55 gal drums. Start with a swirl filter, then some type of porous media, then a drum with plants.

A slowly spinning column of water will knock out the large part of the particulate without a filter pad.
I don't mind cleaning a filter, i just don't want to have to dump or drain the pond to clean it. I will look into the swirl filter. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom