Duck poop on carpet

2Gerootheducky

Songster
Jan 21, 2019
So we found pieces of duck poop on our carpet, and now we're worried we can get sick. We only have one duck since his partner died, we're in the process of getting him a partner, and we've been letting him out of the coop at lot more recently so he has more to explore and doesn't feel so alone. However he loves to wander into the house and has already left us with small pieces of droppings. We used water, detergent and vinegar mixed together to disinfect the affected areas and removed the duck stains but we still smell poop. Our duck pooped in our sleeping rooms so we're worried since we can still smell the droppings partly we can get sick from inhaling it overnight. Any advice?

There are few zoonotic diseases you can catch from your duck. If you are over 5 years old, not elderly, or don't have a compromised immune system you have very little to be concerned about.

You can take your duck to a veterinarian and get them tested for zoonotic diseases. It's expensive and likely, unnecessary - but it might make you feel better.

Personally I would use regular carpet cleaner and be more careful to keep your duck on an easily cleaned surface - covered with towels to protect delicate duck feet.

I've had ducks in my house. I've shared food right from my bowl with them. I guarantee I've had duck poop in my mouth as I kiss them right on their filthy bills. Not the best practice, but I'm still alive.

Poultry in the house? Well they do make duck diapers…
You won’t get sick as others have said before, I have handled and been in close proximity to duck poop for a long while and I’ve not gotten ill at all.
Maybe I’m nose blind but duck poo doesn’t reek, given it doesn’t smell pleasant.
I gave up on carpet in the house, a puppy will ruin it for all eternity. Duck poo is watery, it probably sunk into the padding.

They have high temperatures than most animals which is an adaptive way of preventing illness from dirty water and a environment more susceptible to pathogens etc.
I wouldn’t be concerned at all about health ramifications to humans or other pets.

I think ducks while maybe not as “clean” as some birds lend themselves to be less maintenance (beyond the fragile legs) than chickens when it comes to disease and overall health. Besides the dreaded bumblefoot Ive only lost one duck to an illness.

Back
Top Bottom