Duck pooped something what is it!?

Kagen101

Chirping
Oct 27, 2022
IMG_8486.jpeg

My duck has been sick for a while, and not eating, and today she just pooped this out?! What is it, do you think this is the cause of her sickness?

Possibly a lash egg?? Can you dissect it some? Yes, it *could* be one symptom of what's going on.. if maybe not the actual cause.

How old is your duck? What are the other symptoms being seen? How long has she been not eating for?
Oh okay, yes we dissected it some and it was white and slightly pink inside. She is almost 6 yrd old. she hasn’t been eating for a week now, we have been tube feeding. But before she got sick we started giving her calcium supplements so I thought it might be related to that? Idk but we stopped giving it to her, and the other symptoms are slow, not eating, watery poop, messy bottom, looks like she is in pain when she poops, but she is still active in forging and is exited to go out with her sisters!

Not an expert, but could be a lash egg which would likely indicate a reproductive infection.
Do you think if it was that, will she get better now that it’s passed or do you think there will be persisting symptoms?

Oh okay, yes we dissected it some and it was white and slightly pink inside. She is almost 6 yrd old. she hasn’t been eating for a week now, we have been tube feeding.
Very sorry to hear that. Did the white part look like cooked egg whites at all? Or just like a soft egg membrane without all of it's parts more possibly like an elderly hiccup?

Do you have any option for veterinary support?

Not eating is a clear sign to me that quality of life has come to an end... when accompanied with age and also something like a "lash egg".. which is indicative of Salpingitis.. a reproductive tract infection.. that *may* be treatable with antibiotics IF caught early. And if caught later, prognosis is poor. It may be considered painful as well, according to my current understanding.

A standard soft egg.. stuck in the system could also cause issues. But behavior *should* be almost instantly improved once it would have passed.

Have you gotten an accurate weight on her.. to make it easier to monitor if her intake is enough?

looks like she is in pain when she poops, but she is still active in forging and is exited to go out with her sisters!
Euthanasia is never an easy discussion or choice, and I'm not suggesting it's right for you but may be worth consideration. Pooping pain free is also something that's important to me as one of the basic functions to life. Feeding the failing body to extend perceived contentment while a duck friend hides their pain and acts normal around their comrades, when I'm capable of understanding behavior deeper than what's hiding at the surface.. Even us as humans do it.. but for fowl their life depends on not being perceived as off. Trust and believe they will pretend to be normal until they can't hold their heads up or their eyes open. Luckily, you are noticing the subtle clues before they get that big.. so I'm only making general statements.. nothing directed at you personally.. we are all just doing our best, every time.

On the back side of the previous paragraph.. Good on you for being brave enough to tube feed, give a CHANCE at recovery, and see if life still finds a way! :hugs

Salpingitis if that's it won't likely just go away.. Merck. the middle link, is my preferred and trusted reliable resource but the other links expand on it a little more.. please verify accuracy before following anything posted.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...s an inflammation of,Mycoplasma gallisepticum

https://duckdvm.com/condition/salpingitis

Sorry you both are facing this. Hope she recovers fully and starts thriving again! :fl

Back
Top Bottom