Duck ratio

Titantherooster

Songster
Jul 9, 2020
Presently after harvesting some of my drakes I have three males (one Pekin/two Saxony) and two females, ones of each breed mentioned. I had intentions to have more girls but wasn’t able to get any more of either breed. I’ve noticed the male Pekin being aggressive with the other males and sometimes even female Saxony. I could of course separate him but wondered how few females I could get away with having to curb this behavior and keep the girls safe?

I have 7 laying chickens now as well and it’s just my wife and I so I don’t need a ton more eggs. If I had 2 females for each of my 3 drakes would that do it? I’ve seen 4/1 ratio suggestions before but that would be a lot of ducks and eggs that right now I didn’t need lol. Appreciate any feedback :)

There are three problem with your current ratio.

1) drakes fighting and injuring each other

2) drakes crushing or drowning ducks during mating.

3) drakes killing chickens with their 8" penises.

You can solve problem #1 by getting rid of two drakes. You could also solve it by getting another 10-15 ducks.

You can solve problem #2 by getting rid of two drakes. You could reduce risk by getting another 10-15 ducks.

You can solve problem #3 by getting rid of two drakes and getting a few more ducks. You could also solve it by getting another 10-15 ducks.

Since you aren't interested in getting a large number of additional ducks, your only solution is to get rid of two drakes. Since the pekin is the biggest and most aggressive, make sure that you get rid of him. Then get a few more ducks for the remaining drake, so that he isn't tempted by your hens.

would one drake and one hen be ok?
Not normally.
It is not impossible.. but not likely to be a good situation for the female.
I have four females to one Drake
and by this time of year all four of the back of their necks are bald from all of the mating.
Can you imagine what that would be like if there were just one taking all of it?

Presently after harvesting some of my drakes I have three males (one Pekin/two Saxony) and two females, ones of each breed mentioned. I had intentions to have more girls but wasn’t able to get any more of either breed. I’ve noticed the male Pekin being aggressive with the other males and sometimes even female Saxony. I could of course separate him but wondered how few females I could get away with having to curb this behavior and keep the girls safe?

I have 7 laying chickens now as well and it’s just my wife and I so I don’t need a ton more eggs. If I had 2 females for each of my 3 drakes would that do it? I’ve seen 4/1 ratio suggestions before but that would be a lot of ducks and eggs that right now I didn’t need lol. Appreciate any feedback :)
Yes generally you need three to four females per Drake.
I have found every situation to be different and you need to do what works best for your flock.
Nothing is set in stone, but over mating one particular female can even occur when you have a good Drake/duck ratio.

If you aren't interested in adding a bunch more ducks I would get rid of two of your drakes if I were you.

Not normally.
It is not impossible.. but not likely to be a good situation for the female.
I have four females to one Drake
and by this time of year all four of the back of their necks are bald from all of the mating.
Can you imagine what that would be like if there were just one taking all of it?

By what age should I have more hens? Also, by what age do mallards have their typical color patterns which makes it easier to see which ones are male and which ones are females?

By what age should I have more hens? Also, by what age do mallards have their typical color patterns which makes it easier to see which ones are male and which ones are females?
Time of year will affect breeding habits, but by the time they are fully feathered out at 6 weeks are usually starting up the breeding antics. So
Simple answer.. ASAP..
I cannot think off the top of my head time frame on juvenile molt..
But the easiest way to tell male from female is by voice.
After they lose their baby peep peep peep sound, females will quack loudly and males will lose their voice and only have a really low froggy raspy sound from then on.

Yes generally you need three to four females per Drake.
I have found every situation to be different and you need to do what works best for your flock.
Nothing is set in stone, but over mating one particular female can even occur when you have a good Drake/duck ratio.

If you aren't interested in adding a bunch more ducks I would get rid of two of your drakes if I were you.
My wife is concerned that the two Pekins are “bonded” since they grew up together. Is there any concern of the female getting depressed and not laying or doing other duck things if I took the male Pekin?

Does anyone know where I could come by adult Pekin or Saxony this time of year? I know hatcheries have ducklings but that won’t help my current situation.

Back
Top Bottom