Duck refuses to leave lake

DuCkMomma88

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2017
I have a male Rouen that is refusing to come off the lake, they usually come in on their own about sundown. Yesterday he refused to get off the lake we found the female waiting about an acre away at the pen. Initially I was concerned that something had got him, but found him in the lake swimming under/around a tree hanging over. What would be causing him to refuse to leave, they have always gotten out and walked up to the pen when we go get them. He has been on the lake in roughly the same spot for 24+ hrs and doesn't look injured from what I can tell

How old is he? It could be several things, depending on age. Being a waterfowl they have an innate behavior of seeking water for 2 main reasons....safety and mating....depending on his mallard genes and this being migration season, depending on your location, there could be other duck visitors resting on the lake at nite. If he saw a predator he might be reluctant to leave the safety of the water. We have a pond on our property, but it is a ways from the house, so we don't let them go there....because once they get on a body of water their instincts kick in and getting them back after sexually mature is next to impossible...and once ya do they don't forget and will continue to attempt to get back there. Ya may have to build a raft with a doghouse like structure on it and anchor it in the middle for protection. Hope things turnout well for ya and him too.

How old is he? It could be several things, depending on age. Being a waterfowl they have an innate behavior of seeking water for 2 main reasons....safety and mating....depending on his mallard genes and this being migration season, depending on your location, there could be other duck visitors resting on the lake at nite. If he saw a predator he might be reluctant to leave the safety of the water. We have a pond on our property, but it is a ways from the house, so we don't let them go there....because once they get on a body of water their instincts kick in and getting them back after sexually mature is next to impossible...and once ya do they don't forget and will continue to attempt to get back there. Ya may have to build a raft with a doghouse like structure on it and anchor it in the middle for protection. Hope things turnout well for ya and him too.

He is roughly 7 months old i have him and 3 females one of which he does not get along with so they are in pairs and alternate letting them free range. Yesterday was his day along with his mate, there were 30 or so Geese on our lake/pond and i thought it might have been a territorial thing. Him and the female never split like that so it was concerning. I also thought that a predator could have been involved due to his wacky behavior. Its just the strangest thing especially since he hasn't left this area of the water all day.

Also I will add that the nights have been pretty chilly here in central IL like 28 degrees and damp usually when its rainy or cool they like the comfort of their covered enclosure.

I really feel for ya, and have kept mine away from our pond for that very reason. Since they really can't fly, if he is hanging out waiting for migratory birds, he may come back after they fly off on their journey. I'd keep trying to entice him and even see if ya can get close in a flatbottom boat just paddling out to him, but I'd use more of sculling action....figure 8 with a paddle in the water at the front of the boat...than straight paddling because the splashing will definitely scare him and hopefully ya could get close enough to net him or entice him to come near to grab him. Our Rouens and Khakis wouldn't let me get that close I'm sure...the boat alone would scare them....but, I would sure try everything I could think of....but, if I couldn't, I'd anchor a raft and do what I could for them there. Keep me posted on this if ya would....if I was a bit closer I'd come up and help.....:fl:fl :hugs

I really feel for ya, and have kept mine away from our pond for that very reason. Since they really can't fly, if he is hanging out waiting for migratory birds, he may come back after they fly off on their journey. I'd keep trying to entice him and even see if ya can get close in a flatbottom boat just paddling out to him, but I'd use more of sculling action....figure 8 with a paddle in the water at the front of the boat...than straight paddling because the splashing will definitely scare him and hopefully ya could get close enough to net him or entice him to come near to grab him. Our Rouens and Khakis wouldn't let me get that close I'm sure...the boat alone would scare them....but, I would sure try everything I could think of....but, if I couldn't, I'd anchor a raft and do what I could for them there. Keep me posted on this if ya would....if I was a bit closer I'd come up and help.....:fl:fl :hugs
Same issue.. Mine decided to come back after a few days out. We are back to night time lock up.. Hope yours changes back too

Back
Top Bottom