Duck Run

mrskrischavez

Hatching
Aug 22, 2021
Hey everyone. Just got some ducklings and planning on building a coop and run for them. My question is how high i should build the run fence, and should it have a top? If I clip wings, can I get away with not putting a top on the run. I was hoping to make the fence around 5 ft high.

What kind of ducks? Are you planning to keep them in the run 24-7, only at night, only during the day? What predators are in your area?

I live in a subdivision although there are fields/woods a couple houses away. My ducks are in a completely covered run with an attached coop at night. During the day they free range in my garden with 6ft privacy fence on three sides and a 3ft garden fence on the other. My ducks are vulnerable to hawks but they have lived this way for five years without a problem.

I have Khaki Campbell’s, Swedish, and Khaki mixes. So, medium size ducks. Only one duck needed to have the feathers on one wing clipped once when she was young and accidentally flew over the 6’ fence and got stuck in the neighbors yard. Smaller ducks fly better than larger ones.

The top on the run would be to prevent predator attacks not keep the ducks in. Assuming they’re domestic ducks they likely won’t be able to fly. With that being said, my run isn’t covered (6ft y’all garden fencing)...we have lost 2 ducks to predators when we didn’t get them put up early enough. 1 was to a Racoon that climbed the fence (while the neighbors were caring for our ducks) And not sure about the other but think it was arial-hawk, owl, falcon 🤷🏽‍♀️.

Ours “free range” most of the day (On about a third of our property-where our pond is and where are goats are).

I don't have a run for my ducks. I use to, but converted it into a coop expansion instead. I have a large fenced area with a 3-4 ft fencing. My ducks can definitely jump the fence, and even potentially squeeze through some of our fencing. However, I have never had them leave the fenced area with one exception. My Muscovy use to like to hop the fence to lay eggs and then would jump back. I added that area into their fenced area and they no longer jump the fence.

I clipped only my Muscovy, because they can fly. I did it for safety reasons, so I can get them in at night.

Mine are happier with lots of area to roam. But it does come with the risk of predators. I have lots of trees and brush piles for my ducks to hide under. Also I have my dogs in with my ducks as deterrents. You have to decide the risk you are willing to take, what you can do to reduce those risks.

Back
Top Bottom