Duck sitting in fall?

Quackles

Hatching
Sep 24, 2017
So I have two ducks, male and female, all summer I've been trying everything to get her to sit on eggs but eventually I gave up. Now, September little did I know she had a nest of 18 hidden! She started sitting on them September 23 and the eggs should hatch sometime in late October. Why is she sitting so late in the season? If it gets too cold what should I do? Will it be too cold to raise babies? My silkies hatched babies in December and they were fine. How do I take care of her? I've never had ducks before and I'm kinda winging it.:bun:woot

Ducks brood when the hormone hits and evidently her hit a little late. What part of the country are you in @Quackles Most likely your duck will be able to keep her ducklings warm enough but keeping them out of water will be one of your biggest challenges to keep them from chilling. Always have a back up plan just in case she isn't caring for her ducklings, 1 or 2 is struggling Or she has way to many to care for or keep warm then you may have to take some from her and brood them yourself. If all 18 hatch she'll be having her wings full. You'll also want to keep papa away after hatch where he can still see his mate and off spring but he can't injure or trample on any. Usually 1-3 weeks then they are big enough and alert enough to stay out of pops way in a forage situation. You can feed ducklings crumble as long as it isn't layer. An all flock is a good one like Purina Flock Raiser. And good fresh water is very important too. Hopefully Mama will have everything as far as care under control and you'll just have to put out feed and water but you just never know. Keep us updated!

Last edited:
Miss Lydia covered it!

Where are you located? fall is common for some breed (what breed ducks are they) as I have muscovy and anconas nesting right now in Maine. So biggest concern here is temps once it cools down and they hatch

if its any consolation.. One of my muscovys went AWOL a few weeks ago.. she comes in for dinner almost daily and vanishes again.. her mate has stayed around the house but Jewel has something else on her mind. Both drakes try to breed her when she lands so I am thinking she is sitting on eggs somewhere.

Hopefully you'll have more females if she is sitting on eggs. If they don't get eaten by a pred before hand. I'd be on an egg hunt to bring that broody and nest of eggs home.

Back
Top Bottom