Duck stamp contest

I just stumbled across this thread, and I know it's very old. I'm sorry to bring it back from the dead, but I thought it might be interesting to continue it with the older comments in tact! Is anyone still interested in this contest?

Hi Nambroth! I didn't know you were here on BYC, too! LOL. I know you from Deviantart.

I am still interested in doing this, but I've been lagging with my art. I actually want to try a gadwall in colored pencil right now. I think all the duck stamp entries have to be paintings, right?

Last edited:
Hi Nambroth! I didn't know you were here on BYC, too! LOL. I know you from Deviantart.

I am still interested in doing this, but I've been lagging with my art. I actually want to try a gadwall in colored pencil right now. I think all the duck stamp entries have to be paintings, right?

Nope-- they can be colored pencil! They just need to look fairly smooth under close scrutiny. That can be done with colored pencil, too-- you just have to have a lot of patience with it. :)

Nope-- they can be colored pencil! They just need to look fairly smooth under close scrutiny. That can be done with colored pencil, too-- you just have to have a lot of patience with it. :)
Great! I've been meaning to start on a gadwall colored pencil drawing ASAP and I thought if it came out exceptionally good, I may consider entering it if I can afford to. Sometimes, painting is not practical for me.

Yes, colored pencil needs a lot of patience sometimes. It often requires multiple layering and blending.

I may post it on Wetcanvas or Deviantart if I do one.

Last edited:
Great! I've been meaning to start on a gadwall colored pencil drawing ASAP and I thought if it came out exceptionally good, I may consider entering it if I can afford to. Sometimes, painting is not practical for me.

Yes, colored pencil needs a lot of patience sometimes. It often requires multiple layering and blending.

I may post it on Wetcanvas or Deviantart if I do one.
Will we get to see it dd?

I'll post a link if I decide not to enter it into the duck stamp competition. I think there's rules about pre-publication if I want to enter it, so if I do, I will wait before posting any links.

I'll post a link if I decide not to enter it into the duck stamp competition. I think there's rules about pre-publication if I want to enter it, so if I do, I will wait before posting any links.
Okay look forward to it either way. If you enter Here's hoping you win!!!
fl.gif

There is no official rule, however, if you were to do well or win and someone wanted to raise a fuss and suggest a judge may have seen it and had a bias-- well, that's a headache best avoided! In general it's best not to share your entry until after judging.

There is no official rule, however, if you were to do well or win and someone wanted to raise a fuss and suggest a judge may have seen it and had a bias-- well, that's a headache best avoided! In general it's best not to share your entry until after judging.
That's good to know. It's a hard competition to win, there are usually some totally fantastic entries each year. And, some interesting ones like that one a couple years ago with the two ducks mating with all kinds of little figures like a Charlie Brown Face and other things embedded in it.

That's good to know. It's a hard competition to win, there are usually some totally fantastic entries each year. And, some interesting ones like that one a couple years ago with the two ducks mating with all kinds of little figures like a Charlie Brown Face and other things embedded in it.

It's very hard to win. I was in shock for weeks. Still am!

The glitter, sequins, and logos person is Rob McBroom. He enters every year. Google image search "Rob McBroom Duck Stamp" and you will see a lot of his entries.

Back
Top Bottom