Duck started limping, then quit walking

LaGeniaLoca

Songster
Apr 4, 2011
Yorba Linda, CA
I had a single Chocolate Swedish duck named Junior. Yes, had, as in past tense. He didn't survive, but I also didn't get any answers, so I thought I would share his story and see if anyone has experience with this. I keep feeling like I missed something or didn't do enough or could have done something sooner. He was my ESA, so his passing has been very difficult.

So, he was 4 years and 8 months old. I noticed a limp that got a little worse each day. I checked his leg for any swelling or possible breaks, but he didn't have any reaction to it and I didn't feel anything. He lived indoors with no other ducks, so I chalked it up to trying to climb inside his water bucket, which he would occasionally do. After a few days with no improvement, I took him to his vet. He also didn't feel or see any problems. He prescribed Meloxicam for inflammation for 10 days. That seemed to help and Junior was walking better, but 3 days after he finished that medication he just stopped walking altogether. He would push himself around his playpen using his bill and wings. I realized that his food and water intake had been slowing down and now it slowed even more. Went back to the vet. Junior's weight had always been around 6 lbs, but now he was 3.9 lbs. An x-ray showed arthritis changes at an upper joint, as well as some kind of infection in the bone below that. Blood tests were needed, but I needed a little time to raise the money, as I didn't have $200 sitting around. The results of the blood tests might show a need for a bone biopsy, as well. The vet prescribed the antibiotic Enrofloxacin for 4 weeks and said to bring him back after that to check for progress. In the meantime, I was to do a little physical therapy with his legs so he wouldn't lose muscle. Just a pedaling motion for a few minutes a few times a day. Got through that month and Junior's appetite was improving. He now weighed 4.6 lbs. Came home with more antibiotics, instructions to keep doing physical therapy, and to come back if anything changed. After another 3 weeks of antibiotics, Junior started looking tired. Then, when I sat down with him for exercises, I had barely started and suddenly heard the infected leg bone break in two. Back to the vet. The break was very high up, so it could only be set by wrapping it against his body. The new x-ray also showed a dramatic change. The affected bone was being eaten away. I had only managed to raise about $60 for the blood tests, so I tried again, explaining how urgent Junior's situation was. 5 days later, unable to raise any more money, Junior passed. Suddenly, when I told everyone he'd died, they were all ready to chip in for a cremation. That's not pertinent to his story, it's just a sore point for me. Anyway, the pics are his first x-ray, then the break and the changes from the second x-ray. Following that is a pic of my baby in happier days. If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate your thoughts on what this was. If anyone is met with this problem in the future, start building up a vet fund, so you can get the tests done right away.

Thanks for any input, and sorry this was so long.
1568364400.png
170440017.png
2071836714.png
1122141500-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom