Duck Treats

Do you give them a balanced ration also, or just free range and lettuce?

Since you are new to ducks, do you have a secure night shelter for them?

You might like this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

big_smile.png

Yes i do Amiga, i have a duck house, surrounded by a large secure run. They get the same feed i give to my chicks, with some cracked corn and oats added in. I think i am in good shape, what else do i need to do, especially for the winter?

Do you have a way the ducks could get a bath during subfreezing weather? My runners sometimes have to make do with a two gallon stew pot, but at least they can wash off well. I set out a clean pot of water in the morning, then an hour later replace it again because the first thing they do is wash up.

Some people use large heated water buckets. Some bust open ice and-or add hot water to melt the ice.

From what I read, they are okay if they go a while without bathing. But a while is different for different flocks and circumstances. I feel that at least a daily head washing will help prevent sinus, eye and ear infections that can turn serious.

When we have a mild day I'll fill up a concrete mixing pan so everyone can bathe. Otherwise I just let them wash in the drinking pot.

Do you have a way the ducks could get a bath during subfreezing weather? My runners sometimes have to make do with a two gallon stew pot, but at least they can wash off well. I set out a clean pot of water in the morning, then an hour later replace it again because the first thing they do is wash up.

Some people use large heated water buckets. Some bust open ice and-or add hot water to melt the ice.

We use a heated dog dish in one area and in another area we have a heat lamp hanging over the water. We get some freeze up with the lamp when it goes below zero. The dog dish water does not freeze.

Back
Top Bottom