duck was stuck in fence, need first aid tips

Thanks for the replies!! I thought I had uploaded the picture, but apparently not. I think I've got it now. You can see the depression in her as a long black mark at the corner of her beak, joker-style. I've tried treats, but she refused them. I've got pellets soaking in water in order to string feed her if necessary, but she's not quite straightening her neck all the way and I definitely don't want to force that, nor do I want to choke her by syringe feeding her if the food cannot pass safely down her throat.
Awe. Poor thing. Is she doing any better? Are you able to see inside Her mouth?

@Miss Lydia and @Soon2BChixMom what can be done to help her eat? i am really stumped on this one! It doesn't look her mouth is cut, but do you think that her jaw could be really sore and unable to open, keeping her from eating?
That is what I am wondering. Since there are marks she is probably bruised. If @Jen_Allen1394 could check inside to see if there is any swelling at least she would know what is going on. Can a duck bill become dislocated?

I'd imagine very tender and sore, so soupy feed maybe the way to go for a few days till the soreness wears off. Good vitamins in her drinking water or electrolytes

Hopefully when she updates today things are already improving :fl

So sorry to hear about your duck.:hugsI know that we always try to help when there is a problem...but we can not do everything. If she seems to be getting worse than my first instinct would be to take her to the vet. If she is doing fine than good job and keep up the good work!:thumbsup I know some people do not budget for duck vet trips so if you do not want to pay for the vet than try some things that people said above. I just know that we do not always have the right stuff to treat an animal like the vet does. Good luck and keep us up-dated!

Hi guys!! I'm so sorry for the late follow up, its been so busy here. In happy to announce that she is doing just fine!! I kept a good look on her mouth, her tongue never swelled or looked bruised, I think the biggest damage was just a sore neck from staying in an awkward position for too long. She still has the indents on either side from the fence, although they are less noticeable now that her feathers have fluffed over a bit. I kept her with some softened feed for a day or two and now she's back on a normal diet. I appreciate all your help so much!!

Back
Top Bottom