Duck Wing is Bleeding

One of my ducks is currently molding and she does not have any feathers on her wings if that makes sense. She likes to peck her non-feathered wings, so I'm pretty sure that caused her bleeding. What should I do? Is there any way I can help her?
spray new skin on her bloody wing
IMG_20210723_221647.jpg
or dip in corn starch

@Egg Dropper, are you sure that is safe? I don't know too much about ducks, but that doesn't sound like it would work. No offense.

The technical term is lamellae, but yes, they're like little teeth! Lamellae are serrations along the edge of the bills of most waterfowl. They basically function the same way as whale baleen. Dabbling ducks use them to sift through mud to find food, and geese use them to rip up blades of grass to swallow. They're longer and sharper in fish-eating water birds, who use them to grab onto fish and keep hold while the fish writhes.

Besides feeding, they also function as "combs" to remove debris from the feathers. They can be very sharp in certain areas of the bill, and if moved quickly enough they can cut skin (especially the more tender skin of birds.) On some birds they're almost hair-like and are much more like a whale's baleen, but on most waterfowl they're hard structures with the same density as teeth and can easily rip flesh.

Here's the lamellae on a duck. They're pointed and very tooth-like.
View attachment 2771567

On a goose. These are just as solid but are more rounded at the tips and don't have a significant point or edge.
View attachment 2771569

On a northern shoveler. These are very soft and flexible with a hair-like density -- the most baleen-like of these examples.
View attachment 2771584

And on a merganser, also known as the "sawbill." Was nipped by one while trying to get plastic off its feet. Absolutely would not recommend getting bit.
View attachment 2771582
I knew what you were talking about just calling them teeth was funny. I have been bitten by my gander his teeth really make a mark. :rolleyes: Now that last picture looks like they could put a hurting on ya too.

@Miss Lydia also, I gave her a bath with apple vinegar and also applied dust for mites & lice and I think that helped quite a bit ! I don't see her pecking her wings anymore. Thank you so much ! I greatly appreciate it !! I'll update later and I'll see if she doesn't peck her wings throughout the day. Once again, thank you so much !!

Back
Top Bottom