Duck with Broken egg inside of her

Oct 21, 2020
More bad news. A duck has broken an egg inside of herself. We saw her trying to lay a egg so I took her into a warm bath. She started OK but afterwards I saw her leaking yolk and egg white. This was yesterday. Today another warm bath. But now I hear crunching sound from her vent. Like a broken egg being squished. Not sure what to do.

Do you have a video of the duck?
If she is outside, could you move her inside into a warm, humidified area?

If the bird isn't drinking well, fluids must be delivered via gavaging, or subcutaneous injections, as birds with egg-shell issues currently dehydrated show a grim prognosis. If the bird is drinking well, you may just consider adding an electrolyte to help her stay hydrated.

Calcium is often indicated with egg-binding issues to help promote muscle contractions; for that, you could use calcium gluconate 23%, given at 0.2ml per pound, orally, or opt for other calcium supplements such as citrate, or calcium carbonate (found in tums). Soaking the rear side of her body in warm water may allow expansion of the surrounding tissue in the oviduct allowing easier passage of the egg.

Any egg contents visible externally may be able to be pulled gently with a pair of tweezers, or forceps.

Antibiotics will sometimes be recommended if the egg contents are stuck in the oviduct for an extended period of time.

Can i make homemade electrolyte for ducks? Calcuim for now is not an option tomorrow the pharmacy opens. There are no visible contents of egg. She is siting in the tub right now soaking in warm water.

She layed a egg! Last night I felt around her vent looking for broken egg pieces. I didn't feel anything sharp, but I did feel a round egg. This morning she layed the egg. It was totally squished and stepped on by her. Not a great mom. But I'm sure it was the one I felt last night. So she probably stepped/broke the egg after laying. It was a soft shell too.

She layed a egg! Last night I felt around her vent looking for broken egg pieces. I didn't feel anything sharp, but I did feel a round egg. This morning she layed the egg. It was totally squished and stepped on by her. Not a great mom. But I'm sure it was the one I felt last night. So she probably stepped/broke the egg after laying. It was a soft shell too.

Great news!

I would personally suggest continuing with the calcium supplement for a week or two more until the soft-shelled eggs stop.

Ok I feel like an idiot, but ummm...how did u feel for egg shell left in her? I've got a horrible case of bumblefoot in the tub, and I just found a khaki duck not eating and waddling like a penguin. When i finally caught her, there was yolk leaking out.of her. 😭 I don't know why,but I'm feeling.panicky.

Back
Top Bottom