Duck with broken leg?

allanimals21

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
MN
ok. I think his leg is broken? Anyways is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? Anything special I can give him to help out? He is seperated from the group right now in a comfy pen with lots of straw and his feed and water. And of course his buddy to keep him company. Please dont tell me that I should put him down. I wanna give him a chance. He doesn't seem like he is in a great deal of pain. He is just chilling out right now taking it easy. But anything I can add to the feed or water?

My duckling broke his leg at about 2 months old, and i went thru the do i put him down thing. i decided to give him a while, as i've been told it can take months for a leg to heal. This was the middle of august.

His name is now hobbles. for the first couple weeks, i had to hold him up to the food and water, because he couldn't move to get to them. then he started to hobble to it on his own. now, he has his foot turned upwards and back (looks awkward) and he walks on his ankle. It does not bother him at all, and he keeps up with the other duck. I did put Tyran in the water for a week, and i did get poly-vi-sol without iron, i'm not sure it helped, but it definately didn't hurt.

I wouldn't put him down until you've given him every shot to get better. That is just my personal opinion, but i know if it was me, i'd hate it if someone killed me because i limped for a while.
big_smile.png

I don't like to put anything down until its the last option. I have a few special needs animals. From the chickens to a barn cat. What is Tyran? and where can I get it? I thought I read here once about putting pedialyte (spelling) in the water for injured chicks? Anyways this duck was hatched earlier this year. He is almost full grown. I'm hoping he can pull through. Even if he has a limp I wil still love him if he is happy and comfortable.

my typing is awful. tylan is a poultry antibiotic that i've used on ducks with no problem. it's also used for lots of other ailments with different breeds of animals. your vet might be able to give you some suggestions if you have one that does animals besides dogs and cats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a guinea break a leg one time. I know it was broken because you could swing it all the way around. I tried to line it up as best I could and make a splint with a popsickle stick. It was not set straight but he lived and did fine. Keep trying!!

I had a guinea break a leg one time. I know it was broken because you could swing it all the way around. I tried to line it up as best I could and make a splint with a popsickle stick. It was not set straight but he lived and did fine. Keep trying!!

Back
Top Bottom