Duck with foot infection, or bad frostbite?

Kaczka

Hatching
Nov 28, 2022
Curious to see if anyone with more experience may have some insight into this strange situation. I have a Muscovy duck about five months old who I recently brought inside because his feet were getting really cold and were partially frozen (red and stiff). He was tripping over himself too. Anyway, they thawed out a few days ago but I've kept him isolated for the most part because he doesn't want to use one of his feet. The ankle appears to be swollen.

After giving him a bath (he was pretty dirty) I noticed some blisters on his feet, but those have pretty much disappeared now; one of them burst, unfortunately.
My biggest concern, however, is that on both feet there are some black blotches. I applied some antibiotics to those areas, but I'm still concerned that there might be a dangerous infection, or maybe frostbite? Again, if anyone has tips, I would be thrilled, since this if basically out of the scope of my experience in terms of dealing with birds.

Thanks in advance!

We will need pictures to confirm if it is bumblefoot or frostbite for sure. Are the black sores on the top or bottoms of his feet?
Wow, thanks for the quick reply! There were definitely some on the top of the feet, mostly on the webbing. I believe he may have had some on the bottom too, but unfortunately I am out of town currently, and I don't remember for certain. I'll be home tomorrow, and I'll be sure to take a few pictures.

Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! There were definitely some on the top of the feet, mostly on the webbing. I believe he may have had some on the bottom too, but unfortunately I am out of town currently, and I don't remember for certain. I'll be home tomorrow, and I'll be sure to take a few pictures.

Thanks!
The ones on the top I find concerning and lean towards frost bite for those. Bumbles are usually on the bottom of the foot.

The ones on the top I find concerning and lean towards frost bite for those. Bumbles are usually on the bottom of the foot.
Hey there, sorry about the delay.
So I'm guessing that this is frostbite, and a really nasty case too. Whats weird is that I was away from home only twenty four hours, but the black spots practically tripled in size, and the poor birds feet were already hardening. I put some probiotics on them which seem to help a bit in terms of skin condition, but I still think that he's bound to lose at least one foot.

How does this happen? I thought that they only lose tissue to frostbite if it gets black while out in the cold?

Thanks again for the help, and sorry again for the delay.

If it's frostbite, the damage happens when the tissue freezes, the blackness comes after, when it dies off.
Pictures are really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom