Duck with injured leg

Because ducks are prey animals they are very good at hiding pain. Is she eating like normal? When one of my runners broke her leg up at the hip joint there were 3 cracks ( we got it xrayed) I thought possible dislocation boy am I glad I did not try to force it back in because that was not the problem . But with the broken bones she refused to eat so I had to tube feed her. Vet gave pain meds also. Is your duck eating like normal??

That’s the problem with giving pain meds. Is she using her leg when you have her in water?if this is an injury they take time to heal.
She doesn't really use it in the water. It looks like she tries a little bit so she does have some control over it, but she mostly lets it dangle and uses her other one.

When my ducks get little leg injuries I give 1.5 ml of Medicam but have to get it from the vet
Might be different where you are
It has helped my ducks with pain and swelling and most recovery very fast
Swimming in deeper water is really good to
Get the leg moving without the body weight on it
Just keep her in a small area like you are till she is able to fully put weight on it again
Did you check her foot for any sores ?
She definitely loved the warm bathtub swim. There aren't any sores on the foot; I'm thinking it's a hip problem. It doesn't feel or look out of place, but if I feel her hip area gently it feels like there might be some creaking movement there.

Are you also giving her b complex for support? Hopefully, since your seeing a small bit of improvement, she'll show more this coming week.
Because ducks are prey animals they are very good at hiding pain. Is she eating like normal? When one of my runners broke her leg up at the hip joint there were 3 cracks ( we got it xrayed) I thought possible dislocation boy am I glad I did not try to force it back in because that was not the problem . But with the broken bones she refused to eat so I had to tube feed her. Vet gave pain meds also. Is your duck eating like normal??
I hope so! I think it will likely take a very long time for healing. I did put some B-complex over a treat but she's not very interested. All my ducks so far have hated it :rolleyes:. She does eat regular food.

You could put it into her drinking water. Just don't give her a gallon of water maybe a med size bowl so she drinks most of the water. We usually tell people not to dilute it in water but sometimes you have to get it into them. Or you could try giving it to her with a syringe. We have the info on doing it right so they don't aspirate. Maybe check into Cosequin with MSM. My drake injured his leg fighting with my gander and a member here told me about this and I started him on it and after limping for quite a while he no longer limps.

You could put it into her drinking water. Just don't give her a gallon of water maybe a med size bowl so she drinks most of the water. We usually tell people not to dilute it in water but sometimes you have to get it into them. Or you could try giving it to her with a syringe. We have the info on doing it right so they don't aspirate. Maybe check into Cosequin with MSM. My drake injured his leg fighting with my gander and a member here told me about this and I started him on it and after limping for quite a while he no longer limps.
I've used a syringe before but I always need someone else to help hold them and I worry about the aspiration, so I'll try a small water bowl. I'll look into the Cosequin too, thanks!

I've used a syringe before but I always need someone else to help hold them and I worry about the aspiration, so I'll try a small water bowl. I'll look into the Cosequin too, thanks!
this is me I did not think I could do it by myself but I learned by trying and now it's easy , this works for a tube or just a syringe of meds

Back
Top Bottom