Duck with intestinal Blockage

fuscia

Songster
8 Years
Nov 3, 2013
Kennesaw, GA
I’m embarrassed to say this, but I tried putting a sock around my Cayuga who had developed angel wing. It would come off within 10 minutes or during the night. I assumed it had come off a month or two ago but apparently had disappeared under his feathers. I looked for the band but couldn’t find it and then forgot. My ducks are hard to catch and I don’t want to chase them.
But yesterday he seemed lethargic and so I checked him and found that the damn sock was still on him! He hadn’t grown too much during this time but it was snug. But not to the point where it was digging in, if that makes sense :/ I’m worried it was impeding his digestive system.
I’m caring for him inside and giving him warm baths.
His poops look like when you put play-dough through a spaghetti press. Do you think this is from the sock or is there another problem?I’m hoping to get in with the vet Monday.
I’m giving him electrolytes in his water and Emeraid liquid feed. Warm baths and some time outside with his friends. I’m home all day so I can watch him.
Just hoping for some insight while I wait on an X-ray. Can wearing a sock like that for a month cause permanent damage? It was very stretchy at least. I feel like such a stupid asshole. Ugh!

Attachments

• 622D2ECA-2BC7-4662-9EE9-686BE378E9EE.jpeg
    622D2ECA-2BC7-4662-9EE9-686BE378E9EE.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Sure wouldn't be a bad idea to have him checked over by the vet. How is he doing on eating and has he ate anything besides his feed? Never heard of Emeraid liquid feed.
I’m hoping to see someone Monday. He likes the Emeraid and it’s high calorie. He was able to keep up with his friends and not acting as lethargic as yesterday so I let him be outside and have him in a per carrier overnight to see what he poops. Still pooping out mud. It looks like wet clay :/ not that soft mush they normally poop. He drinks but doesn’t want food. He looked like he was foraging with his friends but could have been pretending and eating dirt. He preens and got I and out of the pool. But he looks ragged.

Poor boy at least the Emeraid has good calories in it. Hopefully, he'll bounce back quickly now that he isn't constricted, Please let us know how he is doing.
He’s doing ok still. I took him to UGA’s animal hospital. They did blood work and since it was normal they didn’t feel an X-ray was worth the cost. They gave him a wormer and fluids under his skin. I’m just keeping tabs and might follow up with the exotic vet when she has an opening. He appears to have wet feather. I’m not sure if the sock was blocking his oil ducts or if he wasn’t preening as much. But I see him swimming, foraging and preening so hopefully he will be ok. My advice for angel wing is to just leave them alone and be ok with how they look. Wrapping them is risky.

Hopefully a good molt will bring back some nice beautiful feathers. He probably wasn't
able to preen well and that is the cause of the wet feather.
Thats great blood work came back looking good.

He’s doing ok still. I took him to UGA’s animal hospital. They did blood work and since it was normal they didn’t feel an X-ray was worth the cost. They gave him a wormer and fluids under his skin. I’m just keeping tabs and might follow up with the exotic vet when she has an opening. He appears to have wet feather. I’m not sure if the sock was blocking his oil ducts or if he wasn’t preening as much. But I see him swimming, foraging and preening so hopefully he will be ok. My advice for angel wing is to just leave them alone and be ok with how they look. Wrapping them is risky.
I tried that sock method and all that jazz with the little one I had. Didn't work very good. Either the sock was too loose and she got it all off, or too tight and she couldn't breathe or walk.
I ended up fixing it later on when she molted her flight feathers out and they started growing back using this method instead and it worked great. Just make sure they cannot get in the swimming water and drown while the wrapping is on.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/angel-wing-treatment.1252014/

Back
Top Bottom