Duck with possible scoliosis??

I have a 4 week old Welsh Harlequin who I believe might suffer from scoliosis, but her back is curved such that it curves up towards the sky, bending her tail down towards the ground and making her bow her head down often. She hobbles when she walks and can only take 5-10 steps before she flops on the ground like it was the hardest thing she's ever done :-( I originally thought it was niacin deficiency, then maybe a parasite (because she is so small compared to her sisters. She is such a sweet little girl, I really hope she is able to compensate for whatever is making walking so difficult for her.
Oh I hope so too! Scoli is a curvature of the spine. It happens in people too. Usually in people they have surgery and after that it's still awful!

So whatever you can do to make her life easier will be a good thing. Just so you know, I don't see rods and screws in her future so hopefuly you will be able to make her life good by probably doing what you are doing!

I'm thinking that one of my 4 week old Welsh harlequins has scoliosis. I've given them brewers yeast in the chick starter since birth. Lots of peas and dandelion greens. They have had vitamins in their water a few times. Because since birth I've noticed something "off" about this duck. Hes the one that was malpositon in the egg and peeping away from the air cell and hatched 2 days after the other duck. Hes always been really weird doing a flip when he gets scared. Walking in a circle till he falls over. Now hes starting to look noticeably different. He looks bent right at his wings, runs a little sideways, body looks short from the side, right hip seems to stick out . What do you all think. Is scoliosis what I'm dealing with here. View attachment 1437119 View attachment 1437120 View attachment 1437121 View attachment 1437122 View attachment 1437123
I know it has been awhile and I'm praying he's doing well! I'd love to hear an update and anything you may have did to help correct it or advice you got elsewhere? I have posted on numerous pages, including here, and had a brief conversation with my dogs vet about my little guy. It seems it has had very little research and the only answer I have got is why which, ufortunately, doesn't give me anything on possible treatments. My guy appears to be in worse condition although the spine curvature seems the same. His head was just offset, but now just under 2 weeks old, is right above his left wing and as he grows the 1st curve is getting higher causing his head to go lower and lose more mobility. The vet suggested a popsicle stick brace as I contemplated, yet I can't come up with a way to manipulate both curves with it only having a small amount of flexibility. If you could give me anything, even just a reassurance or sad truth, I greatly appreciate it.

I remember @casportpony showing some info on scoliosis I'll try and find the info evidently it can happen.
My duckling Franklin has a severe case of scoliosis. I called an Avian vet and just for an office visit it was $290.00!!!
I don’t know how to help my sweet boy because otherwise he’s very healthy.
I wish I could find ANYTHING in regards to physical therapy for him.
Other duck keepers I know tell me to cull him, but I can’t!
I’m so worried he’s in pain. 💔

Attachments

• IMG_4382.jpeg
    IMG_4382.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 1
I know it has been awhile and I'm praying he's doing well! I'd love to hear an update and anything you may have did to help correct it or advice you got elsewhere? I have posted on numerous pages, including here, and had a brief conversation with my dogs vet about my little guy. It seems it has had very little research and the only answer I have got is why which, ufortunately, doesn't give me anything on possible treatments. My guy appears to be in worse condition although the spine curvature seems the same. His head was just offset, but now just under 2 weeks old, is right above his left wing and as he grows the 1st curve is getting higher causing his head to go lower and lose more mobility. The vet suggested a popsicle stick brace as I contemplated, yet I can't come up with a way to manipulate both curves with it only having a small amount of flexibility. If you could give me anything, even just a reassurance or sad truth, I greatly appreciate it.
I have a 2 week old duckling with severe scoliosis as well.
I’d love to hear an update on you little one!

Kindly,
Amy

My duckling Franklin has a severe case of scoliosis. I called an Avian vet and just for an office visit it was $290.00!!!
I don’t know how to help my sweet boy because otherwise he’s very healthy.
I wish I could find ANYTHING in regards to physical therapy for him.
Other duck keepers I know tell me to cull him, but I can’t!
I’m so worried he’s in pain. 💔
How is he going, I have been using a neck brace cut out of a large sponge...if you want to connect my email address is [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom