Duck with Prolapsed Vent and Possible Necrotic Flesh Hanging Out

So sorry your duck is not well. :hugs is there any chance you can clean up that piece of tissue and post new pictures of it?
Darn it! I just got it all cleaned up and tucked back in her! If it comes back out I will take pictures after the bath and before the tucking. It is noticeably softer and more pliable today and significantly less hanging out. She is very feisty. Drinking lots of water. Just offered her spinach and kale and some yogurt after this treatment, which is the first food she has had since this happened Tuesday morning.
When I check on her this evening I will see if I can get better pictures after things have gotten cleaned up and post them.

My concern is that the reproductive tract or intestines have torn in half and what's hanging out is the lower section. I would like to see it cleaned up so we can get an idea of how viable the tissue is.

Open to all thoughts and suggestions, so let's hear them.

I would like to figure out what is hanging out.

Duck vagina
View attachment 1953246

This is a chicken, but ducks are similar. If she is still pooping I think it's safe to say that it's not intestines.
View attachment 1953236
She is having very minimal bowel movements (assumed it was because she hasn't had any food in two days). After looking at these pictures you provided, it makes me think that the bulbous part of the protrusion I was seeing the first day was her vagina hanging out and possibly parts of the large intestine and ceca??? So hard to say. Will see what I can do about sharing more photos later today (although my hope is that everything stays up inside her this time!)
Currently using mineral oil as a lubricant and applying liberal amounts of witch hazel during the insertion process (wearing gloves and taking my time). After things get tucked back in to the vent I have been smearing copious amounts of Preparation H over the vent opening.

If the patient seems in good spirits, that's the best sign we could have that she's going to be okay. But diagnosing over the internet definitely has its limitations. A lot of the time, our suggestions are "Hail Marys".

I'm glad you thought of using the witch hazel. I've used it when reinserting a prolapse, and it really worked well.

If this isn't going to work, the prolapse will refuse to remain in, her body rejecting it if it's damaged severely, and she would decline rapidly. I really would like to see her on an antibiotic. You can do everything successfully and have a bacterial infection ruin everything.

Thanks @casportpony for those illustrations. Enlightening and scary at the same time. If the photos had suggested necrotic or desiccated tissue, I wouldn't have suggested pushing it back in. But I wouldn't have had a prayer to suggest.

Not sure how to tag people???
I have posted photos of what I am dealing with.
@glassdragonfly @azygous @Cedar Creek Farm Lady @casportpony @Miss Lydia @Pyxis @Wyorp Rock
Thanks for any and all assistance, help, advice, etc.
I hate that you and your duck are having to go through this! I must defer to @casportpony & those others you tagged. My ducks haven't reach maturity yet so I haven't had to deal with these problems, yet. I haven't had any problems with prolapse in my chickens either, but I'm gonna follow your thread to see the progress & what procedures are needed to hopefully resolve her problem:fl. With me it would be 100% trial & error, hopefully little error. Poor girl.

This is picture is what things are looking like this evening, before the bath.
IMG_20191106_175223793.jpg

And then the lower four pictures are what things looked like after an hour long soak in a warm water Epsom salt bath. Two pictures I used the flash and two I didn't, wasn't sure what would show up the best.
IMG_20191106_185312563.jpg
IMG_20191106_185408993.jpg
IMG_20191106_185417195.jpg
IMG_20191106_185319237.jpg

Also, she didn't appear to eat any of the greens or yogurt I provided earlier. Water intake is still good and she is still bright-eyed and feisty. Not sure what to do... I am afraid I am just prolonging the inevitable with this one. How many more times can I safely push all of that back inside her without doing damage to other parts of her anatomy...
Any advice is hugely appreciated. Thanks

Simple prolapses can take up to a week before they resolve, and that means pushing the works back in each time it falls out. The hen I treated this summer required five days of pushing it back in until it finally stayed.

However, your duck doesn't have a simple prolapse. It's unknown to what extent the tissue has been damaged, even detached. Unless @casportpony has another suggestion, you need to decide if you wish to continue replacing the prolapse for the time being to see how things go or ending it for your duck and yourself. And then there's the real possibility of infection causing her to suddenly take a turn for the worse.

I can't even honestly tell you what decision I would make in your place. It's an intuitive thing. You know your duck. You will know when she's reached the limit of her ability to cope with this crisis. And yours, as well.

Back
Top Bottom