1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duck with swelling beneath her vent

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rvwhite, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rvwhite

rvwhite Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    I have a Pekin duck that is 7 months old. She has a swelling underneath her vent. the swelling is hard, pinkish i. color and doesn't have any discharge. I've attached a picture. she hasn't been laying for a few days now and use to lay daily. she is acting normal otherwise: eating regular,normal energy level, still having bowel movements, still swims in her pool, plays with the dogs, etc. I would really love any suggestions or advice about what this could and how to treat it. This is my first time owning ducks so all of it is new to me.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could it be a prolapse? is this sticking out of her vent? Something happened to the pic.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds like eggbound, and prolapsed. I would get her to a vet.

In the meantime, get her into a lukewarm tub deep enough to float in. When she gets out, apply some preparation H to the skin.

Be careful - if it is an egg, you don't want to crush the shell.

4. rvwhite

Oct 16, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the pictures, but here they are. The swelling is about half a centimeter thick and it doesn't seem to hurt her when I touch it. You can see on the second picture that it has a yellowish tint and black spot in the middle of it. I felt around her abdomen last night after she soaked in a warm bath and it didn't seem inflamed or warm to the touch. Any thoughts? I really appreciate the advice.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have any preparation H or vitamin e capsules? give her another warm soak and them smear either on her looks to be a prolapse and needs to be kept lubed till it goes back inside. Right around the vent did you feel anything that felt like an egg, be very careful when feeling you don't want to break on if there is an egg. Sometimes you can put the vit e or prep H on and gently push it back inside.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Go with Miss Lydia's advice, and if you can get any manuka honey, the medicinal kind, you might want to alternate that with the Prep H, which is what azhenhouse did.

In any case, some extra vitamins in her water will help her fight infection. Baths, ointments as Miss Lydia and I mentioned, keep close watch, and very careful handling. Have you noticed any odd discharge from the vent?

7. rvwhite

Oct 16, 2013
    I did some research about prolapse and my ducks issue seems different than the pictures and descriptions I've seen. This may be an atypical prolapse or the start of one, not sure but here is some additional information. It differs from what I've read in that the entire area is hard and completely attached to her rear end. From the pictues and deacriptions that I read about prolapse its suppose to be more like a water balloon that hangs from the vent. With Peewee, that's my duck's name, it seems that the swelling is under the skin and I can see where the feathers use to be in that area but have fallen out. The swelled area seems to be pushing up against the vent. With this additional information could it still be a prolapse? Thank u for taking the time to help!

8. rvwhite

Oct 16, 2013
    We started Peewee on extra vitamins in her water two days ago. Do u know where I can get manuka honey? There hasn't been any discharge from the swelling but it does have a wet look to it but it is dry when touched.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Might try health food store, I ordered mine on line from vita cost. I actually haven't ever seen anything quite like what PeeWee has and I've seen quite a few prolapse pics on here. when you feel it does it feel like and egg could be under the skin? She may have pulled the feathers out in discomfort. Do you have any other ducks? just wondering if they could have pulled out the feathers? I'd go ahead and treat this as a prolapse just because it won't do any harm too, until you know different. When did she lay last?

10. rvwhite

Oct 16, 2013
    I haven't felt an egg behind the area but the area is raised about 1/2 centimeter from the skin around and its not a gradual raise like a typical welt. It has an edge like a cylinder with a height of half a centimeter was glued to her bottom. I know that sounds odd but its the best way I can explain it.

We do have another duck but I haven't seen either of them pecking at that area of Peewee. I haven't even seen Peewee mess with that area either.

She last layed 5 days ago. We've been doing the warm baths for 3 days.

Thanks again for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by