Duck with unknown disease and chewed up beak

dUcK bOi

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2019
I went on a 2 week vacation and had a sitter watch my house, dogs and 4 ducks. I came back to find only one duck who had yellow mush all in his feathers a destroyed beak and missing feathers. I washed out the yellow stuff so it’s not in the pictures but can I get some advice on what’s going on.

Attachments

• AE52DB16-4D4E-4053-91A9-40CC74F7CB9A.jpeg
    AE52DB16-4D4E-4053-91A9-40CC74F7CB9A.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 4AEB571B-8A7D-49FE-B6E1-EF782C0F7445.jpeg
    4AEB571B-8A7D-49FE-B6E1-EF782C0F7445.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 9799F599-0CAC-4A30-88BE-BA966DEDC5A6.jpeg
    9799F599-0CAC-4A30-88BE-BA966DEDC5A6.jpeg
    871.9 KB · Views: 8
6A2F3D50-067C-434F-BF2B-C4E48FB4876D.jpeg
I went on a 2 week vacation and had a sitter watch my house, dogs and 4 ducks. I came back to find only one duck who had yellow mush all in his feathers a destroyed beak and missing feathers. I washed out the yellow stuff so it’s not in the pictures but can I get some advice on what’s going on.

Awe, poor guy. Looks pretty beat up. How is he acting? Eating and drinking normal? I have one little lady who is my drake's favorite whose feather condition is similar, however it took months to get that bad. Since this happened in a short time, and with that beak damage as well, I suspect a tussle with some sort of predator. I'd give a bath in some warm, as clean as possible, water to help flush everything out. There could be scratches and/or puncture wounds that are hard to detect under the feathers. Keep him separate for a bit so you can keep an eye on him and make sure he's eating/drinking/pooping normal and can get some rest and heal. I know for some birds it causes a lot of stress to be separate from the flock, so you'll have to judge whether this is causing more harm than good. I think it's really just gonna be a wait and see how he acts for awhile. Hopefully there are no internal injuries and it's all superficial. Also do a good check of your pen and whatever area the ducks normally roam to make sure there's nothing sinister, no holes in the fencing that need to fixed, no burrows or obvious nests from predators, etc. You may or may not find a clue as well. Good luck!

Awe, poor guy. Looks pretty beat up. How is he acting? Eating and drinking normal? I have one little lady who is my drake's favorite whose feather condition is similar, however it took months to get that bad. Since this happened in a short time, and with that beak damage as well, I suspect a tussle with some sort of predator. I'd give a bath in some warm, as clean as possible, water to help flush everything out. There could be scratches and/or puncture wounds that are hard to detect under the feathers. Keep him separate for a bit so you can keep an eye on him and make sure he's eating/drinking/pooping normal and can get some rest and heal. I know for some birds it causes a lot of stress to be separate from the flock, so you'll have to judge whether this is causing more harm than good. I think it's really just gonna be a wait and see how he acts for awhile. Hopefully there are no internal injuries and it's all superficial. Also do a good check of your pen and whatever area the ducks normally roam to make sure there's nothing sinister, no holes in the fencing that need to fixed, no burrows or obvious nests from predators, etc. You may or may not find a clue as well. Good luck!
Thank you so much this is very helpful. She doesn’t want to swim if we put her in the water and she hisses or breaths loudly if u get too close to her and is shivering all the time. I’m considering putting her Down because of these behavior changes.

I would give her a little bit of time to see if she improves or declines. If she is "shivering" she is stressed or in shock or something. Maybe a dark quiet place with some extra yummy food and some nutridrench or electrolytes in her water.

We found out that the unknown yellow mush that we washed out was fly eggs and there are flys constantly on her

Back
Top Bottom