lishah2000

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Pekin, 2 months.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Found at the edge of the pond just floating with eyes closed. Didn't try and get away or struggle when picked up.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A few hours as far as I know. DH fed scratch at dusk and didn't notice anything.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Not that I can see.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea. Shortly before I found him the dog was barking and growling at something in the area of the pond. I didn't see anything, but I think all the ducks were together in the middle of the pond. I don't remember seeing him in the area I found him. When I found him, the other pekin and his buddy the pekin mix were all on their floating dock, the mallards were swimming.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Flockraiser, scratch, forage

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Not sure yet.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Brought inside and observing. Since bringing inside he is still unsteady on his feet and not really changing position, but playing with the sides of the crate and towel.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Most likely home treatment.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Free-range on a small pond since about 5 weeks old.

Last edited:
I could only find an old injury on the belly. Not sure what that was from. He looked pretty bad when I went to bed. I put a little VetRx on his bill. But didn't know what else to do.

This morning he was calling to the other ducks. I took him out to the porch to observe. He wanted to go to his buddy and his buddy was trying to get to him. (they are so attached to each other) He looked a lot better and much more alert and steady. So I let him out with the other ducks.

He is eating, drinking and swimming. Acting pretty normal, but I'm keeping a close eye out. Really wish I knew what caused it.

could it had been shock? maybe a predator scared them but the dog chased it off by barking so did get to actually get your duck just a wild guess gad to hear he's better

Shock/predator is quite possible. The dog is new to us and guarding and is just starting to get a good idea of her job. She doesn't normally growl, so it worried me. We had a fox stalking the ducks about a week ago. The dog did a good job running it off. It came back a few nights in a row, but she did a good job protecting.

We lost two ducks on nests the beginning of the year (before we got the dog) to a pair of fox. A neighbor took care of that pair because they were going after his small dogs. Coons were a big problem before the dog, but I haven't seen one since she started patrolling the property.

We also have a pair of barred owls that hunt the property, but they don't seem to have an interest in the ducks. We have lots of frogs/toads and rabbits. They are big, but still about the same size as the pekin.

Poor thing got hurt again. What ever was here before was back again. Fox is my best guess, but it's pretty big. I only get a quick glance and it's gone. Not even sure that's what go the duck. I found him with blood coming from the base of the neck and running down the chest. He was also soaking wet and dirty.

All the other ducks were very jumpy and didn't want to come out of the pond to eat most of the day. This happened Friday night. I've looked the duck over several times and the blood seems to just be from feathers bleeding. He is drinking, but not eating.

Tried taking him outside yesterday but he was just still too out of it. He did take a swim in the pond and was happy to see the other ducks. I was just afraid to leave him out and not be home. He isn't moving very fast.

What can I try to get him to eat? He wouldn't eat the peas, his favorite, but he did keep laying on them. I put some sugar in the water yesterday and will get some vitamins today.

Will the feathers stop bleeding? There are too many to pluck. The bleeding does stop, but if I try and wash him and clean him up, they start again. I left them alone yesterday and so far no new bleeding.

This thing is outsmarting the dog. She is trying, but it keeps sneaking in. We set up a motion alarm in the area it seems to be traveling and the ducks seem to be staying on the side of the pond near the house and where the dog stays most of the time. I'm guessing it's a fox, but it looks big for one. I wish I could get a good look to see what we are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom