Duckie first aid kit supplies and ideas.

Pics

chickboss

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
It has been crossing my mind lately that it would be more than wise to put together a pretty extensive first aid kit. It can sometimes take us a while to get to a feed store depending on what day of the week it is and which stores are open and I think I have been a little overly optimistic (or just flat stupid
big_smile.png
) for not putting one together already. I have a few small things on hand, but just wanted some ideas for a more inclusive kit. So, any of you that have must haves I should consider please post 'em!

Thanks!

This is the list this thread has come up with so far:

Wound Care
Neosporin
Gauze
Vet wrap
Waterproof medical tape
Styptic powder or corn starch (or other bleeding-stoppin material)
Moleskin pads (adhesive-sided bandages
Saline
Peroxide
Iodine
Vetericyn
100% cotton thread and needle for stiches
Blu-Kote (especially useful after drakes fight)
Isopropyl alcohol (for sterilizing any tools, ect.)

Medications
Antibiotic eye drops
Oral antibiotics (agramycin, amprolium, ect.)
Baby asprin
Ivermectin
Terramycin eye ointment
Terramycin, Baytril antibiotics (can be gotten from feed store)
Oxine (Also used as a sterlization agent)

Tools
Tweezers (large and small fine points)
1/2 inch rubber tubing
Exacto knife and blades
Tongue depressors (for splints)
Small sharp scissors
Scalpel
Dentle picks
Clean syringes (for medication administration or wound flushing)
Q-tips
Empty rx bottles to mix small amounts of solutions in to use with q-tips.
Eyeglass or other really small screwdriver (for assisting with hatching and really small scissors like you would find in a sewing repair kit)

Other important things to keep on hand
Vitamin/ eletrolyte/ probiotic mix
Apple cider vinegar with mother
Epsom Salts
Brewer's yeast - great for ducklings with weak legs, wry neck
Poly Vi Sol infant vitamins without iron added

Important Notes
* See post # 27 on page 3 of this thread for an extensive example of a first aid kit.
* Be sure to check the dates on all medications and ointments periodicly to ensure that they are still usable.
* Keep an empty rubber/plastic container around as an emergency "Hospital" for a duck. Medium to large animal carrier would work well to.

Last edited:
There was a thread on that several weeks back, started by Duckduckguinea, but I cannot find it now.

WadeMD and I think it would make a good stickie, and I have not had time to work on it . . . .

So let's see if we can start putting it together. Here, from the top of my head, are some items:

Neosporin
gauze
vet wrap
waterproof medical tape
tweezers
half-inch rubber tubing
vitamin electrolyte probiotic mix
ivermectin
oral antibiotics (agramycin, amprolium, etc.)
antibiotic eyedrops
exacto knife and blades
tongue depressors (for splints)
styptic powder, corn starch or other bleeding-stopping material
small sharp scissors
moleskin pads (adhesive-sided bandages)
apple cider vinegar with the mother
Epsom salts

----

I have wondered if anyone on the forum has used activated charcoal (finely ground - not briquettes, but real charcoal from a wood stove) for detox in the case of poisoning. I have heard of it being used with human overdose patients.

Also, is something like superglue useful, such as for bill injuries?

What a great topic, chickboss!
I've been needing to do this too... Other than what goes in a regular first aid kit for humans (such as what you might buy at the store) what should you add to it--for the duckies?

vitamin electrolyte probiotic mix
ivermectin
oral antibiotics (agramycin, amprolium, etc.)
antibiotic eyedrops

and ACV?

Can you get these items from the feedstore or would one need to go to the vet?

Last edited:
I have ACV for myself that I get at our local mom and pop grocery store.

I haven't seen the eyedrops anywhere. Anyone have specific recommendations? They are on my list.

I have already needed the triple antibiotic, gauze and vetwrap for a foot injury. I think we caught it early enough that it remained a low key problem.

Awsome, thanks guys! Once it seems that everyone who wants to has responded I will recomend it as a sticky. I think I just hit report to make the request, don't I?

Hi there~ I don't have any duckies, but many chickens. We always keep some normal saline to wash out wounds, sterile gauze (4 x 4s) and its a good idea to have clean syringes, either for wound irrigation or administering fluids/meds/vitamins manually ~ kim

Back
Top Bottom