Duckies!

Jackanddianesmom

Songster
Dec 3, 2019
North jersey, USA
Added 3 little ducklings yesterday! And they're already SUPER dirty lol we have one saxony, cayuga and khaki Campbell! They're 4 days old and super active, even at night. The little saxony keeps sitting down alone in the corner, and idk if there may be something going on with her. She will get up and run around, and shes still eating and drinking but will sit in the corner most of the time. Is that normal duckling behavior? I cant remember from last time ! I attached some pics, and their pen looks messy but we are cleaning it up now, gets messy so fast with the little ones

Attachments

• 20200409_203106.jpg
    20200409_203106.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 15865354492304151531183377736910.jpg
    15865354492304151531183377736910.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 12
Added 3 little ducklings yesterday! And they're already SUPER dirty lol we have one saxony, cayuga and khaki Campbell! They're 4 days old and super active, even at night. The little saxony keeps sitting down alone in the corner, and idk if there may be something going on with her. She will get up and run around, and shes still eating and drinking but will sit in the corner most of the time. Is that normal duckling behavior? I cant remember from last time ! I attached some pics, and their pen looks messy but we are cleaning it up now, gets messy so fast with the little ones

Adorable! She may just be stressed for shipping, It can take a toll on those little birds. Just monitor her feed and water intake, If she were mine I'd try to give her some scrambled eggs, and add some poultry vitamins to her waterer. I also see the right side of the brooder is plastic, I would cover it up with bedding as a slippery floor can sometimes cause spraddled legs in young ducklings/chicks.

I have a 7 month old female pekin, do you think she would mother the baby and help her recover ? Or would that be a bad idea to introduce them so soon?

I've never had a Duck take babies that weren't hers, I wouldn't try it, Too much stress on the baby and it probably wont even work. Pekins aren't know for their mothering skills either.

What are you using for bedding, just wondering if shavings if she may have eaten some? Might feel along her neck for a blockage. Where did you get your ducklings?
We tried chopped straw and they look they they were eating it so she switched to cedar shavings and they were still going after it so now we got long straw, which they go after but cant eat. I'm about to clean their pen and in was going to put a towel down instead?
This is the last half of what she was doing, shes laying down to drink now and isn't really eating. I put the rooster booster poultry cell in their water and I'm getting niacin to see if that helps. To feel for something in her I just feel for it on the outside ?

Back
Top Bottom