Duckling Advice Needed! (Imprinting/poop)

raccoonroom

Chirping
Aug 1, 2020
received_725488088184377.jpeg

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and new to ducks. So duck veterans, feel free to weigh in!

I recently raised a trio of Runner hybrids from ducklings until they moved to my sister in law's property when they were about seven weeks old. I really missed having ducks so I hatched a trio Welsh Harlequins.

I didn't think they'd imprint on me. I was hoping they would imprint on each other and they did, but they either imprinted or they're very attached. I have to bring them with me every where I go or they cry.

They cry for food early in the morning, then you know all day long. They cry when I leave the room. They cry if I go to the bathroom. Sometimes they'll be okay if my son or husband is in the room, but once they've noticed I'm not there, you guessed it... they cry. It's a lot of work. Like having a set of newborn triplets. This morning I had to feed them twice, change their bedding, bathe them and feed them again all before 9 am.

When we go outside, they won't forage. They will only stay in their pool so long as I'm with them. They won't feed themselves unless there's food within a three foot radius and even then, they will still cry and beg for food. This worries me because they're three weeks old and they should be learning these skills by now.

Also, they poop a lot. Way more than the Runners. Like a lot, a lot and I'm having a really hard time keeping them clean and dry and not stinking up my house. I've tried puppy pads, nope. I've tried pine shavings, they get wet, stinky and heavy so fast! Towels are not an option clearly. I even bought this fancy shredded shavings stuff because it claimed to be 30% more absorbent than regular shavings, it was a waste of money in the end.

I'm seriously blanking on how I can keep them inside for the next two weeks since they've outgrown their brooder, but aren't ready to go outside into their house yet.

So, if you have any tips on effective duckling containment strategies I would love to hear them! How can I limit the pooping mess and smell? Should I be feeding them differently? (They eat chick starter, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, peas) How long until they no longer need me all the time? And how on earth am I going to keep these poop machines in the house for the next couple weeks?!?!

Welcome to BYC. Here's my advice and it is what I had to do with my call ducklings; now ducks.

Harden your heart...

If the ducklings are two weeks or older they probably no longer need a heat lamp. Get a pen ready and safe outside. Put them in it, enjoy your human family, and resist the temptation to give in.

Check on the ducklings from a distance to alleviate your fears. It probably won't take long for the duckling to get on with the job of living. Good luck.

Omigosh! You're having a problem I've NEVER had with runners -- who meet me the first or second day of their lives and spend the next several months convinced that I'm trying to kill them. Not until they are adults do they get over their extreme distaste for me, even though I keep them in my house in brooders and handle them every day.

And, I can't imagine more poop than runners. I use medium wood shavings from the local feed store and it's hard to go more than a couple of days before the smell is overwhelming.

The advice to cut them loose and let them be ducks is probably sound. I, however, have a fully grown chicken who SHOULD live outdoors all the time. But, as a lone chick, Dottie was raised in the house and at almost a year old, is still perfectly happy to do field trips during the day and come back to spend the night in her dog crate house in the dining room. Yes, it's likely time to harden your heart.

This is Pablo Serama. He came into the house a year ago with a sinus infection and a cyst. He still is in the house, visiting the great outdoors occasionally, and then back in he comes. Not easy to harden one's heart. Pablo has chronic sinus trouble and does not do well outside for long.

aaapabonknee.jpg

Now that you've shared about Pablo Serama, I feel better about having my house chicken!! Dottie won't lay eggs outdoors and has never spent a night outside. She goes out for a few hours every day, but maybe she will never be an outdoor bird. Still, she likes to explore, eat bugs, dust bathe and mess up the flower gardens, just like the others.

I just read a book where Joel Salatin suggested getting rid of traditional house pets and having "kitchen chickens." Hmmmm.

View attachment 2271814

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and new to ducks. So duck veterans, feel free to weigh in!

I recently raised a trio of Runner hybrids from ducklings until they moved to my sister in law's property when they were about seven weeks old. I really missed having ducks so I hatched a trio Welsh Harlequins.

I didn't think they'd imprint on me. I was hoping they would imprint on each other and they did, but they either imprinted or they're very attached. I have to bring them with me every where I go or they cry.

They cry for food early in the morning, then you know all day long. They cry when I leave the room. They cry if I go to the bathroom. Sometimes they'll be okay if my son or husband is in the room, but once they've noticed I'm not there, you guessed it... they cry. It's a lot of work. Like having a set of newborn triplets. This morning I had to feed them twice, change their bedding, bathe them and feed them again all before 9 am.

When we go outside, they won't forage. They will only stay in their pool so long as I'm with them. They won't feed themselves unless there's food within a three foot radius and even then, they will still cry and beg for food. This worries me because they're three weeks old and they should be learning these skills by now.

Also, they poop a lot. Way more than the Runners. Like a lot, a lot and I'm having a really hard time keeping them clean and dry and not stinking up my house. I've tried puppy pads, nope. I've tried pine shavings, they get wet, stinky and heavy so fast! Towels are not an option clearly. I even bought this fancy shredded shavings stuff because it claimed to be 30% more absorbent than regular shavings, it was a waste of money in the end.

I'm seriously blanking on how I can keep them inside for the next two weeks since they've outgrown their brooder, but aren't ready to go outside into their house yet.

So, if you have any tips on effective duckling containment strategies I would love to hear them! How can I limit the pooping mess and smell? Should I be feeding them differently? (They eat chick starter, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, peas) How long until they no longer need me all the time? And how on earth am I going to keep these poop machines in the house for the next couple weeks?!?!
First of all welcome to BYC second ducks are like any animal they should be fed in the am and pm and treats in between the tomato seeds maybe your pooping issue your not supposed to give them the seeds leaves or stems of tomatoes

Back
Top Bottom