Duckling aggressive Indian Runner drake

elizabeth21

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 24, 2013
Our 4 week old ducklings are doing great, and mom has been trying to integrate back into the flock, however, one of the drakes, chases the ducklings whenever they move. I made a separate area to hold the adult ducks in order to give mom duck and her hatch time to forage, splash in the pond. Etc, however, when the other adults are in that area, mom refuses to move about at all... I don't know what to do. When I release them, the one drake in particular, chases the ducklings into a hiding place they've made, and then the mom won't leave that spot either until they come out. This cycle repeats itself all day, everyday !

Any advice would be appreciated.

That's what I've been doing, but as long as he is penned, the rest of the flock won't budge. They'll lay right next to the fence. I put a mini pond into the fenced area, 2 other ponds outside of it. No matter what, if he's penned, they won't forage, use either other pond, etc. They just wait. Having observed this over many days, I will wait until everyone is calm and open the gate to the separate area. He comes out, chases the ducklings, and all chaos insues... Am I missing something here???

Hey that happens to me too! I'm glad I'm not the only one. What I did was introduce the male little by little and he has gotten used to the baby I have. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom