Duckling bobbing head up and down. Acting like a duckling

bantiehen

Songster
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
Montana
Just making sure that nothing is wrong with my little Mallard duckling.. It keeps bobbing its head up and down... other than it its eating and drinking just fine..

An only duckling? I know when my adults start head-bobbing, they are looking for some affection. I am trying to remember if they bobbed so young.

Does she or he do that right after taking a bite of food? There is a kind of head bob that is them trying to work too large a mouthful down into their tummy.

An only duckling? I know when my adults start head-bobbing, they are looking for some affection. I am trying to remember if they bobbed so young.

Does she or he do that right after taking a bite of food? There is a kind of head bob that is them trying to work too large a mouthful down into their tummy.

There are three others in there with it... Another Mallard and two runners... My husband says it took some feed and then did the bobbing. I think it was trying to get to much

If the feed is small enough and there is clean water easily available, there should not be a problem. Once I read on the forum about a duck that ate such a big piece of something that it injured its throat, which got infected. Hooboy! That is not common, so don't get too worried. My ducklings would occasionally toss quite a bit of dry food down their throats and then not get over to the waterer right away and I could see the food stuck in the top of their necks. . . I'd say, "Wasser! Trinken!" because for some inexplicable reason I use German phrases with them. . . anyway, sounds like you've got a hungry ducky.

Do they have food 24/7? That is advisable their first couple of months. Otherwise they may overeat.

If the feed is small enough and there is clean water easily available, there should not be a problem. Once I read on the forum about a duck that ate such a big piece of something that it injured its throat, which got infected. Hooboy! That is not common, so don't get too worried. My ducklings would occasionally toss quite a bit of dry food down their throats and then not get over to the waterer right away and I could see the food stuck in the top of their necks. . . I'd say, "Wasser! Trinken!" because for some inexplicable reason I use German phrases with them. . . anyway, sounds like you've got a hungry ducky.

Do they have food 24/7? That is advisable their first couple of months. Otherwise they may overeat.

yes small feed and water right there... :)

I’m really late to this 😅 but my duckling keeps doing the same thing and he has food and water available. He always bops his head when I’m around or when I play music I thought it was just a quirk but I’m kinda scared it could be related to seizures.

Back
Top Bottom