Duckling born early with yolk sac not absorbed

I believe I read somewhere that if temp & humidity fluctuated too much during the first few weeks this could happen. It happened to me. Baby was full of vigor but passed in the night.
So sorry

Sorry about your loss
hugs.gif

But, I do think you assisted way too early, I could still see veining and such on the yolk sac, which means he still had a lot of absorbing left to do.

What you thought was him struggling to hatch was probably him just resting, and getting his lungs used to the outside air (If he had pipped), and he was still curled up, eyes weren't open.

For future reference, if he was struggling to get out and wanted to get out, and once you helped him out and he was free of the egg he would have been more alert, would give the occasional peep (or a chorus of peeps), he wouldn't necessarily just lay there likes he's dead, and his neck wouldn't still be curled like he's still in the egg. Oh well. We live and we learn.

Hope I made sense.

Good luck.

-Mustang
I just had 4 of 6 hatch. 1 was gone so I looked and the egg sac was not absorbed but all of the veins were. What would cause that?

Hi! I am here to tell you that it isn't a death sentence! Put the chick in a cup (like a tea cup) lined with moist paper towels (to keep the yolk from sticking to the container). The yolk will absorb.
If it doesn't absorb before breaking open, please don't get upset! The next move is to treat the wound. Basically, just remember that the yolk is not a body part. It is the food for the first few days. If the yolk ruptures, the chick will need food and water right away rather than in a few days.
Thank you for this post I just had one hatch and it's a gosling. It looks as if the yok sack is still completely out or unabsorbed. I have its bottom in the shell with it holding the yolk sack and the baby goose inside the bottom half of the shell. I have increased the humidity and have the bottom half of the goose and its egg raped so it can't break free and pull on the yolk sack. I'm thinking the humidity was high in my incubator. It was my first time hatching geese. however I had 3 hatches just fine, they are African geese tho. the one that is having problems is a Sebastopol goose. Any advice would be helpful thank you very much again for your post. It is very helpful and not negative :)! need more like it!

will it survive if this happens please
Do you have one like this? if so place in a cup or small bowl with a soft cloth under it. this will keep the duckling from dragging the yolk and possibly ripping it open. A picture would be good. Keep the duckling in the bator until yolk is fully absorbed.
@elizabeth d

Last edited:
Sure doesn't look like he was ready. All you can do at this point is place the duckling where he cannot drag this sac and bust it open. Looks like you have it on soft paper towels if you can put it into a bowl or cup on soft paper towels that will keep it from getting up and moving around till it has been absorbed. I wouldn't touch it. you don't want to introduce bacteria

@New duck mommy 2021

Back
Top Bottom