Duckling breed?

Clip their wings and keep them penned and they won't
I haven't done enough research on that yet. Enough to know that I don't want to do the pinioning due to the blood feathers. I know you can cut just the feathers after they molt instead. I feel that it is cruel to alter an animal like that. I for sure would never keep any of my animals penned up, all my feathered and furry babies are free range during the day. Although no judgement here for the ones that do. I'm a to each his own, live and let live type of gal. ✌️I will probably just let them decide on their own if they wanna stay or go. Hopefully I spoil them enough to where they stay forever. Unless anyone here has any insight on why clipping the tips of their feathers (not pinioning) would be beneficial for them. Just want them to be free and happy! Thank you for your reply! 🥰

I haven't done enough research on that yet. Enough to know that I don't want to do the pinioning due to the blood feathers. I know you can cut just the feathers after they molt instead. I feel that it is cruel to alter an animal like that. I for sure would never keep any of my animals penned up, all my feathered and furry babies are free range during the day. Although no judgement here for the ones that do. I'm a to each his own, live and let live type of gal. ✌️I will probably just let them decide on their own if they wanna stay or go. Hopefully I spoil them enough to where they stay forever. Unless anyone here has any insight on why clipping the tips of their feathers (not pinioning) would be beneficial for them. Just want them to be free and happy! Thank you for your reply! 🥰
wing clipping is cruel in my opinion, even my pekin who can’t fly love to use their wings to flap around. if they free range make sure it safe from predators

Do you have experience with feather trimming? It is a personal choice and I'm not trying to convince you to change yours, I'm just offering another perspective. I have trimmed hundreds of parrots feathers at the requests of their owners. When I trim a bird's feathers they behave as if the worst part about it is being held still, and they do not react at all to the individual snips of the feathers. I feel like it is similar to having your nails trimmed. My own ducks can't fly so I don't trim them, but if they could fly I would absolutely trim their feathers for their own safety.

We regularly have owners of mallards and muscovies who report that their well fed and tamed birds fly away. @SolarDuck

Pinioning is different, and while I have assisted in that procedure I felt uncomfortable doing so.

Yes I think with breeds that are good fliers it is very important to either pen them or clip their wings. Trimming their feathers doesn't hurt them at all, but it is very often a necessary precaution to keep your ducks safe. Also keep in mind it is actually illegal to release domestic birds into the wild. Ducks that can fly will fly, because flying is fun. It's easy to get carried away and end up at a different local pond, and if they do fly away it could be very emotionally disturbing to you, as you never know what will happen to them out there.

That's some awesome info from you both. I appreciate it. I will look into just trimming the feathers. All of our animals free range during the day for years and we have been lucky to not have predators bother any of them. We have an amazing guard dog though so that helps. I will see what my state laws are so I can make a better decision. I adore this community for this very reason! All the helpful and useful information!! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom