Duckling - broken toe or birth defect/deficiency

katiepotatie

Hatching
May 18, 2016
Lane County, OR
Hi all,

I have four 2-wk old Muscovy ducklings and I noticed one of them has a middle toe / talon that just flops around when he/she walks. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the bone that grows the length of the foot and attaches to the claw has, in fact, stopped short of making it to the toe, leaving the toe/claw lame and "floppy".
Has anyone encountered this? Is it a deficiency/ birth defect or an injury? Is there anything I can or should do to remedy the situation?
The duckling doesn't appear to be in pain and the lame, floppy toe doesn't slow it down. All other toes are normal :)
I appreciate any and all advice or insight here! Many thanks!

Hi all,

I have four 2-wk old Muscovy ducklings and I noticed one of them has a middle toe / talon that just flops around when he/she walks. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the bone that grows the length of the foot and attaches to the claw has, in fact, stopped short of making it to the toe, leaving the toe/claw lame and "floppy".
Has anyone encountered this? Is it a deficiency/ birth defect or an injury? Is there anything I can or should do to remedy the situation?
The duckling doesn't appear to be in pain and the lame, floppy toe doesn't slow it down. All other toes are normal
smile.png

I appreciate any and all advice or insight here! Many thanks!
Can you post a picture? I kind of have in mind what your are describing. If so, then I don't think there is anything you can do. What are you feeding them?

They're quick little things, so these are about the best pics I could take. You might be able to see that the "toe bone" extends halfway down the foot and it seems there's just webbing (or skin) between the end of the toe bone and the claw/nail. The duckling doesn't appear to be able to control the movement of the claw, and it just bends/ flops every which way as he/she walks. I'm feeding them poultry starter with a healthy dose of nutritional yeast for niacin. No bowed or weak legs on this little one or the others. Just this weird, detached and floppy toe.
My concern is if there's nothing to be done to correct it, do I need to amputate the claw or should I just keep an eye on it? Once these guys are a bit more active, I see this thing getting caught on something and easily tearing.

I appreciate your thoughts! Thanks much!!

They're quick little things, so these are about the best pics I could take. You might be able to see that the "toe bone" extends halfway down the foot and it seems there's just webbing (or skin) between the end of the toe bone and the claw/nail. The duckling doesn't appear to be able to control the movement of the claw, and it just bends/ flops every which way as he/she walks. I'm feeding them poultry starter with a healthy dose of nutritional yeast for niacin. No bowed or weak legs on this little one or the others. Just this weird, detached and floppy toe.
My concern is if there's nothing to be done to correct it, do I need to amputate the claw or should I just keep an eye on it? Once these guys are a bit more active, I see this thing getting caught on something and easily tearing.

I appreciate your thoughts! Thanks much!!
idunno.gif
Great pictures! I'm guessing birth defect. How old is the duck? I don't think you need to worry about it getting caught and tearing. If that were to happen it would occur either way. I'm going to direct this to the much more experienced. Maybe they have seen this before.
@Miss Lydia
@casportpony
@Amiga
@RavynFallen

Hmmm, haven't seen this before. Appears to be a birth defect, but I would expect the little one will be just fine. I would not try to do anything. I understand your concern - ducklings can get into all kinds of weird trouble....I would watch the little, and see if there is any indication it could be a problem.

I'd do the same just watch it looks like a defect. Lots of bleeding would happen if you cut it off so just leave it and see what happens I am pretty sure it will be fine.

Thanks all! I appreciate the input! Other than bending every which way when it walks, the detached claw doesn't seem to cause it any pain, so we'll leave it be and see what happens. That was the answer I was hoping for! :) And to answer your question, these little guys are 2.5 weeks old.

Upon further examination, it looks like a toe joint just didn't develop. Odd! While this is our first go-around with ducklings, we've never seen anything like this with our chicks.

Many thanks again! I'll share an update if anything changes!

Thanks all! I appreciate the input! Other than bending every which way when it walks, the detached claw doesn't seem to cause it any pain, so we'll leave it be and see what happens. That was the answer I was hoping for!
smile.png
And to answer your question, these little guys are 2.5 weeks old.

Upon further examination, it looks like a toe joint just didn't develop. Odd! While this is our first go-around with ducklings, we've never seen anything like this with our chicks.

Many thanks again! I'll share an update if anything changes!
We need some pics of the lil ones
pop.gif

and Welcome to BYC @katiepotatie

I'm happy to oblige! Here are some pics of our littles.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! Looking forward to learn lots about these little (and soon to be big!) guys :)

I'm happy to oblige! Here are some pics of our littles.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! Looking forward to learn lots about these little (and soon to be big!) guys
smile.png
Of course they are adorable.
love.gif
You have some nice variations of color too. Be sure to keep us updated on all the changes these lil ones will be making soon.

Back
Top Bottom