MetroMutt

Songster
Mar 9, 2021
NJ
So I recently adopted this young pullet(who may be a rooster as she sometimes crows despite looking like a hen, we are waiting till shes old enough to lay eggs to be sure) and she has a deformed leg, I'm 99% sure it's a birth defect but im unsure what it's called exactly as I can't find any info on it looking it up! I'm thinking maybe a combo of curled toes and something else?

It's upside down and backwards at the joint, it doesn't cause her pain but she does struggle a bit to get around! She also has trouble regulating her body temperature so she's indoors for the winter(maybe for the summer too as even just sitting in the sun she starts to pant)

we are thinking when she's older about having it amputated and getting her a prosthetic IF the vet recommends it, we have a great bird vet we take our other 2 special needs chickens too but we only got little Autumn last week so haven't had the chance to take her yet!
20231118_125025.jpg
534fe5c7-c6a0-48c7-a9c4-385246f16549.jpg

I know the images aren't the best but she's a little timid so I don't want to stress her out, if needed I can try upon request to get better photos but as I write this post she's grooming herself and I don't want to disturb her!

Attachments

• 20231109_131738.jpg
    20231109_131738.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 14
I agree that looks like a deformity from hatch, and I don’t think there is anything that can be done. She may be able to get around a small area to get food and water, and might lay eggs for you eventually. Here is a local chick who had a similar deformed foot, and students made it a little blue 3 d printed leg.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/students-rcbi-combine-to-produce-artificial-leg-for-disabled-chicken/article_9d2ed022-fb6a-54e3-84ac-47547728a23a.html&psig=AOvVaw33qCrWooHscjSL6uEWDQ6k&ust=1700433908309000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=2ahUKEwjZ9-iJ0M6CAxWstIkEHcPwDSEQjRx6BAgAEBY

I agree that looks like a deformity from hatch, and I don’t think there is anything that can be done. She may be able to get around a small area to get food and water, and might lay eggs for you eventually. Here is a local chick who had a similar deformed foot, and students made it a little blue 3 d printed leg.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/students-rcbi-combine-to-produce-artificial-leg-for-disabled-chicken/article_9d2ed022-fb6a-54e3-84ac-47547728a23a.html&psig=AOvVaw33qCrWooHscjSL6uEWDQ6k&ust=1700433908309000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=2ahUKEwjZ9-iJ0M6CAxWstIkEHcPwDSEQjRx6BAgAEBY

I saw a video where they had done something similar for a goose. She was getting around pretty well.

we are thinking when she's older about having it amputated and getting her a prosthetic IF the vet recommends it

I’m sure your vet will advise as best but yeah maybe not necessary to amputate if the prosthetic/support can be implemented with the foot as is?

God Bless you for rescuing her and your compassionate care. She is very pretty. As you can see from my profile pic, my Penny is the same, with the exception of that her leg is out at 90-degrees. Disabled chickens are a gift from God and frankly, the cuddliness that we miss with chickens is definitely there with our disabled and geriatric chickens. It appears from the pictures that her leg is on backwards like my Penny, and that she has curly toe paralysis. I think that fixing the curly toe paralysis may not be worth it because of the leg, however, I am happy to help you do it if you are interested. My Penny is inside year around. I cannot take a chance of chickens picking on her and her not being able to get out of the weather elements effectively. She can somewhat eat, but cannot drink without assistance because she tips the bowl over. She has not laid an egg and my vet is pretty certain she will not meet the nutritional requirements to lay. I have learned a lot about how to make her life as good as possible. I am going to tag @janiedoe who has also learned from having a chicken that cannot walk, We are happy to help you.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!! I love little Autumn very much and am super happy to have her as part of my household!! I look forward to spending time with her everyday after school and in the mornings ❤️❤️

She's alot more timid then my other birds(including the crossbeak and blind rooster) so I'm definitely gonna have to work on socializing her more(though it's ok if she stays a bit shy! I don't mind however she turns out as long as she's happy and healthy!!)

She also may be a rooster as every time I wake up a little later then she'd like to let her out of the cat carrier she likes to sleep in it sounds like she crows almost! We are unsure if it's a alarm call or a crow as we've never heard such a high pitch for either! She only does it when she wants out of her carrier though

I've discovered she likes sitting on fuzzy blankets and she enjoys tiny pieces of carrot! She is really strange in that she won't eat anything bigger then a pea so I have to cut food into tiny bits for her, I don't mind though and I'm just happy she's eating/has found something she likes :) even if I have to give her half my food I was trying to eat and bream it into tiny bite size pieces lol

And yea we are definitely going to consult the vet to see if anything can be done to help her get around better! She's able to move/get around but it seems like she struggles a bit/it's a hassle for her so I'd like to make things easier for her!!

Ty for the articles also! Don't have time to read over them fully yet but I glanced through a bit and will read them completely when I have a chance to!

Chicken feed would be best for her at
s at least 90% of her diet, although she could have some occasional bits of scrambled egg for a treat. The balanced feed plus vitamins and minerals are important for her development. It sounds like you are very good with helping disabled chickens.

My Penny eats some feed but she is really into nuts and seeds. I think this is what she ate before I rescued her. Most people do not know that Chia seeds have all of the nutritional value of chicken feed. If you get into a "pinch" with your disabled chicken not eating, you can give a teaspoon to a chick and a tablespoon to an adult and they will get what they need (article link below). @janiedoe wets her feed an makes a ball out of it for her hen that cannot walk. My Penny loves her feed wet so I tried it. While it makes a big mess, it gives Penny some sense of independence so she can make as big of a mess as she wants.

https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/can-chickens-eat-chia-seeds/

Back
Top Bottom