DUCKLING CHOKING PLEASE HELP NOW!!

Yes, I think he just eat to much and didn't drink. I've been monitoring them and they seem to finally grasp the concept of eating. lol

thumbsup.gif
I'm glad they're doing better! They're such cute babies, and they have loads of personality! Hope everything goes great for you and your little ones.
smile.png

either add water to their food or make sure the water bowl is deeper and right beside the food. When they are little I learned to give them a little food at a time and add to it. They try to shove all they can down their throat and it gets stuck. Glad they are doing better!
smile.png

Had my first scare with this too last night when my 2 week old duckling had just finished eating a snack. When I picked her up, she started jerking and gasping and panting and struggling! I was like, shoot she's going to choke or something...so I actually logged on here and tried to find out what was going on. Luckily there are quite a few threads about this saying that she's not choking, she just ate too much too fast and is having trouble getting it down. It makes sense now because when I calmed down a bit I noticed she was actually breathing okay, so not choking. The posts said she would be fine after a while, and she was. I sat and watched her for a bit and the symptoms slowly subsided and she went to sleep. In the morning she was perfectly fine, eating and drinking and pooping as usual. It was a little scary though. I don't put water in the food...I feed flock raiser and make sure there is plenty of water close. I also didn't want to force too much water in case she were to breath it in to her lungs, she worked it out herself okay. It is true that ducks eat quite a bit, but I'm afraid if I limit their food intake they will just eat more faster when they do get it (also, I have 4 chicks in with her). I don't think I'm going to change anything unless it becomes a constant problem.
Hope this helps anyone who has a similar problem and makes like me, desperately trying to find answers on the internet at 11 O'clock at night
barnie.gif

My duck will eat a little bit of his food and drink a little bit of his water. Then he cannot breath. We put his head in the water for he can blow it out. I need help. He is around 1m old

Hello my baby duck is choking. It's got a clump in its throat any advice on how to get it out? We read the link and think it's in his craw

Last edited:
Had my first scare with this too last night when my 2 week old duckling had just finished eating a snack. When I picked her up, she started jerking and gasping and panting and struggling! I was like, shoot she's going to choke or something...so I actually logged on here and tried to find out what was going on. Luckily there are quite a few threads about this saying that she's not choking, she just ate too much too fast and is having trouble getting it down. It makes sense now because when I calmed down a bit I noticed she was actually breathing okay, so not choking. The posts said she would be fine after a while, and she was. I sat and watched her for a bit and the symptoms slowly subsided and she went to sleep. In the morning she was perfectly fine, eating and drinking and pooping as usual. It was a little scary though. I don't put water in the food...I feed flock raiser and make sure there is plenty of water close. I also didn't want to force too much water in case she were to breath it in to her lungs, she worked it out herself okay. It is true that ducks eat quite a bit, but I'm afraid if I limit their food intake they will just eat more faster when they do get it (also, I have 4 chicks in with her). I don't think I'm going to change anything unless it becomes a constant problem.
Hope this helps anyone who has a similar problem and makes like me, desperately trying to find answers on the internet at 11 O'clock at night
barnie.gif
What did you do to help her? My duckling has been like that all day and I'm so worried. She is not choking, because she's breathing alright, but she's shaking her head back and forth for about 5-7 seconds and then it stops. I tried looking inside her mouth, putting water in with a syringe, dipping her beak into the water and even sprinkling water with my fingers, but he still does it! I'm really scared that he might not make it until the morning. What can I do and what are the chances of him dying through the night?

What did you do to help her? My duckling has been like that all day and I'm so worried. She is not choking, because she's breathing alright, but she's shaking her head back and forth for about 5-7 seconds and then it stops. I tried looking inside her mouth, putting water in with a syringe, dipping her beak into the water and even sprinkling water with my fingers, but he still does it! I'm really scared that he might not make it until the morning. What can I do and what are the chances of him dying through the night?
Oh gosh, I have a similar situation and I'm worried my 3 week old could die in the night. What happened to yours?

Back
Top Bottom