DUCKLING CHOKING PLEASE HELP NOW!!

stormie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
MO
He is trying to regurgitate it but fails and he is trying to swallow and I have dipped his bill in water several times. HELP

Hey how old is he? I had some to be like that,and I took him out put his beak in deeper water and kept doing that,and I would tell him to shake it out!!!!!! And I kept doing it over and over.Also u can take a syringe and put water in his mouth.Eventually it will come out ,shake it out,he will do that.Dunk his beak in it and blow in his face and keep doing it.Some ducks seem to have a smaller esophgus,(shell).I wish you the best,let me know how he gets.
sad.png

he's fine he choked on food. I really worried about my two ducklings. They are only a day old and are really hungry and tired and the one keeps pecking at the others peck and tail. help?

Starter grain from a feed store. Its Manna Pro: Gamebird/Showbird that is not non-medicated. Should I take a rolling pin to crush the bigger pieces for them? I have been trying to guide them from eating and then drinking but they are really hungry.

I've only ever raised one single wild mallard duckling (rescued from a different mother drowning all ducklings in her sight that weren't hers). Felicity liked to nibble (well, gulp!) her food and then put her bill in the water to kind of mix it together. She would always eat like that , humming to herself, head in the waterbowl, like she was the happiest duck in the world!

I only had one orphan duckling (I rescued her at 1 day old), so I always let her mix the food & water herself (I put the feed dish next to the water dish). Then I could sift out any dry food left over and rinse out the water dish when she was through. I never fed her "free choice"; I just put a measured amount of feed down several times a day. The following pics are when she was a little older:

The small brown bowl in back of the green water bowl is her food

Felicity1.jpg

Sometimes I would sprinkle some crumbles on top of a rubbermaid top and add some water

Felicity10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom